Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Power Steering Stiff, Pump vs. Rack? No ETBCM Codes

carbon02
06-17-2010, 08:10 AM
The 2002 has developed steering that has become stiff in both directions, either cold or hot conditions doesn't make much difference.

Changed fluid twice through reservoir not a major improvement.

No codes in the Magnasteer which I believe is controlled by the brake control module (ETBCM).

I attempted to remove power from the EBTCM by pulling the 10Amp fuse for ABS in the underhood power panel. This intent was to get the magnasteer to allow full line pressure.. Not sure if would work, can anyone comment?

Steering actually got even stiffer. Leading me to think it might be pump related. Not much noise from the pump, but I did notice last month when putting on a new serpentine belt that there was a little pulley play, but I chalked that up to 110,000 miles..

Is this a pump or rack issue?

Krivasauto-- If your out there.. How did you know to do the rack first vs. your pump issue that you found latter?

pfofit
06-17-2010, 09:25 AM
I attempted to remove power from the EBTCM by pulling the 10Amp fuse for ABS in the underhood power panel. This intent was to get the magnasteer to allow full line pressure.. Not sure if would work, can anyone comment?

Steering actually got even stiffer.

In short the magnasteer ebtcm module will supply around neg 2 amps to the electro magnet when going slow or stopped and increase to zero amps around 45mph and then starts to goes positive up to 3 amps as the car speed increases.

Pulling the fuse kills the system and gives you the resistance that would be felt at the mid range all the time resulting in a very stiff wheel when at stopped and a bit squirrelly/sensitive at highway speed.

As to your problem I do not know. it appears that the magnasteer portion is doing something. The pump could be weak or the internals of the rack could be suspect. The magnasteer elements are integral to the rack and are not independent. A pressure test of the pump might help. GM calls it a "Power Steering Analyzer J-44721"

cheers

Add your comment to this topic!