Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

90 5.0 LX 5-Speed Radiator

LEM
06-17-2010, 06:20 AM
My radiator has a slow leak in it somewhere along the bottom. I figure after 20 years I should maybe replace it. I'd like to go stock, or just a tad better, but I don't want to drop more than $150. I've seen some "performance" radiators for around $250 and the local parts stores have the Ready Rads for around $85. SO, what would you guys suggest? I'm not into racing or anything, but I'm always interested in making my car a bit better anytime I have to work on it.

Thanks.

Blue)(Fusion
06-17-2010, 09:30 AM
Personally I would stick to an OEM model. The original FoMoCo lasted you over 20 years and they move more than enough heat to keep the engine cool. The only time you'd need to consider upgrading the radiator is if you're experiencing overheating issues.

LEM
07-09-2010, 06:43 AM
According to the local Ford dealership, Ford is no longer making radiators for my Mustang. The guy I spoke to in parts suggested a Modine radiator. The local parts stores carry the Ready-Rad and Spectra.

So, what do you guys suggest as an aftermarket radiator?

Thanks.

bugman742002
09-22-2010, 03:37 PM
auto-zone carries a limited lifetime warranty on their radiators. also if you want better cooling check out on for an automatic trans. they usually have more cooling surface than the manual trans radiator

rhandwor
09-26-2010, 05:59 AM
According to the local Ford dealership, Ford is no longer making radiators for my Mustang. The guy I spoke to in parts suggested a Modine radiator. The local parts stores carry the Ready-Rad and Spectra.

So, what do you guys suggest as an aftermarket radiator?

Thanks.
Pep Boys used to have good prices on new radiators.

LEM
12-01-2010, 01:26 PM
I called around to some radiator shops to see what it would cost to have mine tested and repaired and one shop had a practically new radiator off of a 1995 Mustnag that ended up being totaled; sold it to me for $70. It's a Ford stock radiator with a copper core and brass ends.

I also ended up having to replace the heater core...what a job; thank God for the write-ups I found on another forum; they were vital - I spent my Thanksgiving holiday weekend replacing the heater core and radio. Apparently the heater core leaked enough to get liquid into the amp shorting it out.

Now I have a leak-free cooling system, good clean, dry heat inside, and a nice sounding stereo! It's a start on my ultimate goal of total restoration.

Add your comment to this topic!