Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Tacoma 4wd will not engage

cwetrich
06-15-2010, 08:39 PM
My 1995 (1995 1/2?) Tacoma is V6, manual transmission, manual transfer case with automatic hubs. I life in Florida so don't use the 4wd much but I do try to lube it up on dirt roads every now and then just to keep it working. Noticed the other day, light did not come on and front was not engaging. I read several threads on here before I posted and I am still stumped. I know the truck has had some minor electrical problems (losing ground(s), AC compressor lost all power, etc. So electrical is always a potential candidate. I read a few responses thought that talked about the front diff fluid being bad or low???? Not sure what that is all about, but I just had a reputable shop (who specializes in Toyota repairs) perform a full service changing all fluids so now I'm wondering about that too. So electrical, up to 6 switches that could be bad (or so I read), or a problem with differential fluid levels/types/etc. Any other thoughts? I did replace the fuse in the dash that is labeled 4wd and obviously that didn't do any good. I really don't know what that little 15amp fuse does to be honest. So, HELP?????? Thanks in advance! God Bless

Add your comment to this topic!