Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

98 Tahoe 5.7L 2dr

bro9178
06-14-2010, 11:07 PM
I am having problems with my Tahoe. I have noticed that it misfires ramdomly, I thought at first it could be the spark plug wires so I changed them for new ones. The problem persisted, thought it could be the fuel pump, changed it still the same problem. I have taken it to AutoZone to get the OBDII codes "random misfire" I have removed the spark plugs and noticed that on one of them it was moist and have a strong odor of gas. All this started to happen a few days after I towed a car with trailer for about 200 miles at the most. I am thinking it could either be the fuel injectors that are plugged or that it is out of time. I have replaced the engine before for a remanufactured one, only have about 12,000mi on this engine. I am running out of options now, I really want to fix it myself without putting a dent in my pocket. Any and all help is appreciated. :runaround:

j cAT
06-15-2010, 08:38 PM
problem is your changing parts no testing ///this is not correct...good way to help out the part manufacturers ..

your problem is quite common with this age engine usually its the distributor bearing worn ..remove cap and inspect for excessive play...

or just buy a new distributor and see what happens ..

bowhuntrrl
07-13-2010, 11:43 PM
Could easily be the Sequential FI system. I had a similar problem on my '98 Tahoe. You need some diags, particularly fuel pressure. The poppets won't open with less than about 62-63 pounds of fuel pressure. Mine started after a bad tank of gas and clogged fuel filter. I ended up replacing the system with the aftermarket fuel spider kit.

Add your comment to this topic!