Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2000 Lincoln LS PATS system

blklink
06-14-2010, 08:58 PM
Hello to all again... I have been trying to figure out what is been going on with this car and have yet to figure it out... I should have posted on my older thread but could not find it. But here it goes once again. SHOROD has helped me in the past and was helping me with this situation thanks for your help...
Alright. One day I was driving the car and it ran fine no problems at all. I stopped by my grand mothers house to check up on her got out left the keys in the ignition and went inside stayed 20 30 minutes roughly. Well needless to say I got back in the car and tried to start it and nothing. Wouldnt even try to turn over. The battery has a good charge alternator is new and other parts that are new just to give you a run down what has been done. It is a 3.0 v6 the spark plugs, ignition coils (all), mass air flow sensor, fuel filter, fuel pump, jet pump, throttle body, air intake manifold, mufflers, cat converters, headers, hydraulic fan and pump, ac condensor, radiator, transmission fluid, oils, rear end fluids, and all the vacuum lines. There is alot of other stuff that is new but that gives you a heads up what has been done. Also the battery is new. But all in all I went to the dealer ship last week and ordered a piece for it which he called it a PATS system which it looked like a little ring with a stout coming off the side its located around the ignition cylinder. The guy that put it in and programmed the new key to it said it was a antenna for the chip in the key. Well he programs the key to it and it came back successful. Now in all of this before hand the light on the dash (theft system) it blinks rapidly when you turn the key to the on position. But leave the key in the on position the light will slow down and soon will not blink anymore. Try to start the car and it starts blinking again. Everything else works radio, windows, steering wheel, everything works. Even down to the alarm system works. When I received the car I didnt get a key pad with it so I dont know if it has one or not. But you can out the key in the door and turn it and the alarm sets the light on the dash will blink as it is in arm mode. Unlock the car and the car deactivates the theft system but it still blinks rapid when you turn the key to the on position... Can anyone help me pin point this problem. I took it to the dealer ship in Fayetteville which is 40 miles from me and they said it was the anti theft board. The ford dealer ship here said there isnt such a thing called a theft board on this car... Well I dont know what to think but I dont wanna end up getting screwed over. I need to get this car back on the road and this is the only thing stopping me... SOMEONE HELP

shorod
06-14-2010, 09:09 PM
The PATS system is tied in to the diagnostic bus and will provide diagnostic codes just like the powertrain. The dealership should be able to access the PATS system to get a good idea of where the problem lies. Since you're paying for their diagnostics, you should be entitled to know what diagnostic codes the PATS system has stored. And since the Security light flashes rapidly when you try to start the car, there should be stored diagnostic codes in the PATS system. Once you have the diagnostic code, please post back here with the code.

-Rod

joegr
06-14-2010, 09:25 PM
It's even easier than that. When the light flashes rapidly, it's flashing out a two digit error code. Count the flashes and tell us what the code or codes are.

The PATS is an integrated part of the cluster on the LS, so there is no separate "anti-theft board" as such. If there's really an internal PATS problem, then the dash cluster will have to be replaced. It's more common (and more likely) for there to be a problem with the RF antenna for the PATS. Maybe the new one was installed incorrectly. The flash code(s) will give a good clue as to if it is that or not.

shorod
06-15-2010, 06:37 AM
It's even easier than that. When the light flashes rapidly, it's flashing out a two digit error code. Count the flashes and tell us what the code or codes are.

Are you thinking of the SRS/airbag system? At least for 2002 (and I suspect 2000 was the same) there are no provisions for PATS lamp fault codes. The indicator either stays on or flashes rapidly, but doesn't flash out a Lamp Fault Code according to the 2002 factory service manual. As you're aware, there are other inaccuracies in the factory service manual, but it's been pretty good about Lamp Fault Codes.

-Rod

joegr
06-15-2010, 09:00 AM
Are you thinking of the SRS/airbag system? At least for 2002 (and I suspect 2000 was the same) there are no provisions for PATS lamp fault codes. The indicator either stays on or flashes rapidly, but doesn't flash out a Lamp Fault Code according to the 2002 factory service manual. As you're aware, there are other inaccuracies in the factory service manual, but it's been pretty good about Lamp Fault Codes.

-Rod
No, I'm thinking of PATS. The gen II PATS flashes out a code. I assumed that the gen I did as well. The service manual may or may not be right. It takes a little while for the code to come out.

joejervis1990
01-13-2011, 11:58 PM
Hello, I'm new to forums but i have a question. I just bought a 2000 lincoln ls v6 base pkg and it has been hit in the front driver side of the light enough to where the driver door will still open. The car does the same thing as mentioned above with the rapidly flashing theft light, and I was told that it was the security module? I was also told that this is the module that is in the door and my friend i bought the car off of had already taken the door panel off and got to this module. after reading some of your posts this leaves me to think this is not the problem as to why it wont start. I have already checked all the wires where the car was hit and nothing is damaged and no fuses or relays are blown in the entire car. I really need to get this car running and I need some advice. Please help me.

blklink
01-14-2011, 03:17 AM
Hello, I'm new to forums but i have a question. I just bought a 2000 lincoln ls v6 base pkg and it has been hit in the front driver side of the light enough to where the driver door will still open. The car does the same thing as mentioned above with the rapidly flashing theft light, and I was told that it was the security module? I was also told that this is the module that is in the door and my friend i bought the car off of had already taken the door panel off and got to this module. after reading some of your posts this leaves me to think this is not the problem as to why it wont start. I have already checked all the wires where the car was hit and nothing is damaged and no fuses or relays are blown in the entire car. I really need to get this car running and I need some advice. Please help me.

Your best bet is to take it to the lincoln dealership. I still haven't gotten my problem fixed. I'm getting charged with a outrageous price. Either get ready to spend some money or use it as a purdy lawn ornament. They're having to change my security theft board (my whole security set up). If that car has had a remote start on it could have damaged the security system. Or some kind of aftermarket security system it also could have fried the factory security system. If your car is doing the same thing mine is, then pretty sure its the security locked on it. On mine its the anti theft board is what I was told. Maybe yours don't need to go that far, maybe u can have urs reprogrammed. Try using your key to lock and unlock your doors from the driver side. Try using your factory lock/unlock pad if u have one. You're gonna have to go through a lot of stuff to narroew this down. PATS is bad on these cars along with a lot of other stuff.

shorod
01-14-2011, 06:53 AM
I have to agree with Blklink, there are a lot of opportunities for issues with a car that has been pieced together. Unless you have some pretty fancy diagnostic equipment that can tell you what PATS code you're getting and give you real time data on what's happening with the system (you can pick scan tools up that can do this for several hundred bucks on eBay used), it will be a guessing game for you.

Did the "friend" you bought this car from ever have it running since the accident to know that nothing else is damaged? Why didn't they spend the time to get it running so they could make more money on the car? Maybe they did spend the time and gave up.

-Rod

joegr
01-14-2011, 11:30 AM
I have to agree with Blklink, there are a lot of opportunities for issues with a car that has been pieced together. Unless you have some pretty fancy diagnostic equipment that can tell you what PATS code you're getting and give you real time data on what's happening with the system (you can pick scan tools up that can do this for several hundred bucks on eBay used), it will be a guessing game for you.

Did the "friend" you bought this car from ever have it running since the accident to know that nothing else is damaged? Why didn't they spend the time to get it running so they could make more money on the car? Maybe they did spend the time and gave up.

-Rod

AutoEnginuity has one for $400 new that will do all that is needed. It can even put PATS into secure access mode.

http://www.autoenginuity.com/order.html

BTW, I've looked into this some more. When the OP said "But leave the key in the on position the light will slow down and soon will not blink anymore." is when the code(s) are blinked out (when it slowed down). They are two digit codes.

joejervis1990
01-14-2011, 10:19 PM
The car was running when it was wrecked and yes it did have remote start on it, my friend took it off because he thought that may have been why it wasnt wanting to start. It was piggy backed off of 2 wires that ran into the driver door module too... thats why we thought that module might just be fried, it pops apart though and the board on it doesnt look damaged at all, but the theft board is in the middle of the car under the dash too so thats gonna be a fun job if its fried. I can get the work done at ford for 1/2 price too so I think im just going to talk to them and find out what needs done and then do all the manual work myself like taking the dash off if it needs to be removed that way i wont be charged out the butt for labor.( I used to work for ford/subaru and still have my employee dsct) I did talk to them today and apparently it does blink out a code too so tomorrow im going to get that code and go from there i guess. Ill keep everyone posted on how it goes though. hopefully it will just need to be reprogrammed but i know i wont be that lucky.

danielsatur
01-14-2011, 10:49 PM
Did anyone try to reset all the control modules?
Disconnect the battery, and touch the pos cable to ground for a few seconds.

joejervis1990
01-15-2011, 11:13 PM
Okay, so an update on the car. I'm now not sure whats going on but I'm taking it to Ford on Tuesday. I got the code it was sending out to, here it is:

1:3 Key code not received. Is key screened by other keys or objects? Try different key: if okay then first key is faulty. If not go to main dealer

I'm guessing that this is a rather good thing. I think that the remote start screwed it up too, I completely removed it today though, so like I said, theres not much more I can do, so I'm taking it to ford. Ill let everyone know what ends up goin down with it though.

shorod
01-16-2011, 09:17 AM
If you don't already have at least two keys for the car, this would be the time to have the dealer make you another one. Once you have two programmed keys you can program additional keys yourself.

-Rod

joejervis1990
01-20-2011, 11:21 PM
okay guys the car has been diagnosed............ apparently I was right, where the remote start was installed in the wrong spot, it cause the antitheft board and the pats module to short out, the problem with this is that the antitheft board is apparently part of the instrument cluster which is $300 with my discount, so i guess im going to try and find an instrument cluster tomorrow. the module was only 30 bucks.

shorod
01-21-2011, 06:34 AM
Ouch! I hope you got a good deal on this car from your "friend." Sounds like he might have been a better salesman than friend....

-Rod

joegr
01-21-2011, 01:01 PM
okay guys the car has been diagnosed............ apparently I was right, where the remote start was installed in the wrong spot, it cause the antitheft board and the pats module to short out, the problem with this is that the antitheft board is apparently part of the instrument cluster which is $300 with my discount, so i guess im going to try and find an instrument cluster tomorrow. the module was only 30 bucks.

It takes a dealer's scan tool to marry the new cluster to the PCM, and then to program your keys into it.

Add your comment to this topic!