00 trans question

travel passport
06-14-2010, 10:13 AM
After seaching through the forum I still have an unanswered question. Question first, background second.

Does the neutral park switch have an O-ring and would it leak from there?

Trans is leaking, AT Temp light came on, changing fluid now. I already had the accuator problem resolved and it's not that. This is a much slower leak that is virtually unnoticed until youre under the car. after wiping it down i noticed when i pushed on the neutral switch oil squirted slightly. photo 5.10 in haynes looks like there is an o-ring but i can't tell due to image quality. my next thought is 7b-8 the extension housing oil seal leaking onto the NPS. No shifting problems as of yet.

Any experiences? Thanks in advance.

travel passport
06-14-2010, 03:38 PM
Ok- scratch that. She's up on stands and all cleaned up. The NPS is fine and from what I can tell there are no o-rings. The gasket is baked and hard as peanut brittle, I am guessing thats the slow leak. Now how the hell does one get to the back two bolts on the ATF pan? The cross member is supporting the transmission and I am going to support the tranny with another jack and drop the cross member. From what I can tell the filter may have never been changed. Even when the transmission shop said they did.

Has anyone changed the ATF filter on a passport/rodeo?

5throdeo
07-14-2010, 07:42 PM
Ok- scratch that. She's up on stands and all cleaned up. The NPS is fine and from what I can tell there are no o-rings. The gasket is baked and hard as peanut brittle, I am guessing thats the slow leak. Now how the hell does one get to the back two bolts on the ATF pan? The cross member is supporting the transmission and I am going to support the tranny with another jack and drop the cross member. From what I can tell the filter may have never been changed. Even when the transmission shop said they did.

Has anyone changed the ATF filter on a passport/rodeo?

No big problem , drain the atf by removing the drain plug, remove the tranny pan bolts, i would say slowly as a lot of atf is still in there.

With the pan removed you will see the filter, just clean it or go to autozone and get a new one and pan gasket. put filter on , gasket and pan on, also drain plug.

Start engine and put in the amount of atf that you drained , as you drained it try and catch it all in a pan. The atf must be added and checked with the engine running.

Add your comment to this topic!