Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Has anyone ever tried this...

christofurr
05-05-2003, 08:17 PM
I was just having a nosey around, and I was wondering if anyone had tried recreating carbon fiber, the Tamiya way?

http://www.tamiya.com/english/howto/car1/tip1.htm

I'm thinking about trying it, but I'd like to know how easy it is first, and how good it looks :).

Jay!
05-05-2003, 08:18 PM
I've never tried it, but Tamiya can do it well... I saw a great example of it on their demo Ezno at Tamiya/Con, and it looked really cool.

christofurr
05-05-2003, 08:20 PM
I'm going to try it on my Enzo too I think. The hard part would be making sure the mesh doesn't slip, like they've mentioned. Nothing some good ole tape won't fix :D.

integra818
05-05-2003, 08:48 PM
I saw that in one of the Tamiya magazines, did'nt really look too real when they did a close-up on it, but I'm gonna try it and see what it looks like in person.

Jay, which Ferrari had that carbon-fiber tecnique applied to it ? The one on the "new products" table??? I think I saw it, don't remember

Jay!
05-05-2003, 08:57 PM
Originally posted by integra818
Jay, which Ferrari had that carbon-fiber tecnique applied to it ? The one on the "new products" table??? I think I saw it, don't remember That's the one.

SupercarFreak
05-05-2003, 09:00 PM
I need bigger pictures of the final result but from what I see it doesn't look like carbon fiber at all? :confused:

chris, ill post pics of some of my carbon fiber stuff tonight bro

SupercarFreak
05-05-2003, 09:49 PM
http://files.automotiveforums.com/uploads/897762DSC04478.JPG

christofurr
05-06-2003, 12:29 AM
Originally posted by SupercarFreak
I need bigger pictures of the final result but from what I see it doesn't look like carbon fiber at all? :confused:

chris, ill post pics of some of my carbon fiber stuff tonight bro

I too, would like to see some larger pics, just to see what it looks like. I remember the official Tamiya Enzo pics, had the carbon fiber applied this way, but I can't find them.

I think the finished product would look like what they displayed on their soon to be released 1:20 BMW F1 kit. I'm undecided. It add's that 'look' to the model, but is isn't really correct :(...

daggerlee
05-06-2003, 05:51 AM
The pattern produced by the Tamiya method is a 'basketweave' like the one used on the Ferrari Enzo.

However most carbon fiber used is a "Twill" weave which is what carbon fiber decals come in.

Chain
05-06-2003, 06:09 AM
I tried once using the mesh provided in the box.
Hard part was to get hold of the mesh so that it doesnt slips.
On very small parts you'll have a very hard time holding onto the mesh and thats only 1 part, try doing the rest.
It was way too time consuming.
If you can pull this off for all of parts in the models, I am gonna kneel down and call you carbon god lol

Jay!
05-06-2003, 09:44 AM
Originally posted by christofurr
I remember the official Tamiya Enzo pics, had the carbon fiber applied this way, but I can't find them. These? http://www.tamiyausa.com/product/plastic/124sportscarseries/24260.html

lumpulus
05-06-2003, 11:02 AM
Well, I use Scale Motor Sport CF decal sheets, and I've never had a problem with them. The trick is to use a heat gun or hair dryer on low heat and they shrink right into place! :D

sugarcaddy
05-06-2003, 11:04 AM
http://files.automotiveforums.com/uploads/4267244itr.jpg

This was done for a ITR using the Tamiya way. I used too big a screen but the general idea is there. I used a flat black base, aplyed the screen to the top holding it down with tape and fingers, then airbrushed metallic black over it.
Next time I try this it will be with a smaller screen if I can find any in bulk....

Scott

Deejay27
05-06-2003, 01:56 PM
lumpulus...aren't the "Scale Motor Sport CF decal sheets" water slide decals? Can you explain the steps you use to apply them? Thanks.

Rtuned
05-06-2003, 02:33 PM
Tamiya teach the cheap way to look like carbon fiber. Carbon fiber never look like mesh. Every lines look line a saw blade not mesh. There are lots of carbon fiber out there for sale. So if you want something really looks real, get a carbon fiber decals.:rolleyes: :D

SupercarFreak
05-06-2003, 02:34 PM
Originally posted by Deejay27
lumpulus...aren't the "Scale Motor Sport CF decal sheets" water slide decals? Can you explain the steps you use to apply them? Thanks.

the way i apply them is like a regular decal, except i coat the plastic part im applying it to with solvaset, then i put the decal on, then another layer of solvaset then i use a paintbrush to help the decal conform to the surfaces.

SupercarFreak
05-06-2003, 02:35 PM
example

DavidG
05-06-2003, 02:51 PM
thats a decal right???

it looks good.
how you put it on, like any other? hair dryer?

simdel1
05-06-2003, 02:58 PM
Originally posted by daggerlee
The pattern produced by the Tamiya method is a 'basketweave' like the one used on the Ferrari Enzo.

However most carbon fiber used is a "Twill" weave which is what carbon fiber decals come in.

yep, i have some close up pictures of the enzo's carbon fibre, and it does look like the mesh method type...almost. its good enough for me:smoker:

SupercarFreak
05-06-2003, 03:02 PM
looks like tamiya used SMS decals on their enzo though :confused:

Jay!
05-06-2003, 03:15 PM

http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/attachment.php?s=&postid=930420That pic looks very much like the one I saw in person, which seemed to be done by the mesh method. May not be the same model, but the 'look' of the c/f detail is about the same, especially over the c/f texture molded in to most of the Enzo's parts.

SupercarFreak
05-06-2003, 03:24 PM
Originally posted by jay@af
That pic looks very much like the one I saw in person, which seemed to be done by the mesh method. May not be the same model, but the 'look' of the c/f detail is about the same, especially over the c/f texture molded in to most of the Enzo's parts.

jay I don't notice any of my enzo parts having a c/f texture ? :confused:

Jay!
05-06-2003, 03:26 PM
jay I don't notice any of my enzo parts having a c/f texture ? :confused: No? I thought they were 'lumpy' in places... :confused:

daggerlee
05-06-2003, 03:34 PM
As you can see in this pic, the Enzo carbon fiber is a basketweave, or similar to the Tamiya method. :)

Jay!
05-06-2003, 03:37 PM
Originally posted by jay@af
No? I thought they were 'lumpy' in places... :confused: I think I'm mistaken. I think that's what we thought it was like from those pics, before we knew it was mesh-painted... I think...

christofurr
05-06-2003, 03:52 PM

Thats one of the pics I was talking about, but they aren't on the Tamiya site :confused:.

You can see on the seats that it looks alot like the 'mesh' method, but it's quite hard to tell in other places.

Does anyone have anymore of this series of Enzo pics? The ones that aren't on the Tamiya site?

SupercarFreak
05-06-2003, 04:27 PM
ok so we all know the actual enzo's carbon fiber is a mesh/basketweave, but at a distance it actually looks like SMS's decals

do you guys see what i mean? the further away you are the more you notice the diagonal lines

simdel1
05-07-2003, 03:44 AM
how about using finer mesh then...from a distance it will look more real

Deniz
05-07-2003, 04:02 AM
its kinda off topic on this CF issue but i just gotta get it off my chest :D

Am i the only one here who thinks Enzo is the ugliest Ferrari ever produced?

not starting a war, its just that other than to appreciate Tamiya's success in molding this model i dont think i find the enzo pretty car..

any body with me on that? :D

christofurr
05-07-2003, 05:20 AM
Originally posted by Deniz

not starting a war, its just that other than to appreciate Tamiya's success in molding this model i dont think i find the enzo pretty car..

At first, I didn't like the design a whole lot, but it grew on me, pretty fast. Then when I bought the Mattel 1:18 Die-cast model, and I got the chance to see the car in 3D, I loved it.

It's one of those cars you either love or hate. But Ferrari didn't design it to look good, they designed it to go like a bat out of hell. Mission accomplished.

simdel1
05-07-2003, 03:51 PM
Originally posted by Deniz

yea, just like chris, i didnt like it at first either, but one you start to look at it from a technical point of view then it becomes beautifull. it may not be traditionally beautifull like an aston db7, but it certainly has presence. i think if i saw one in real life i would collapse onto the floor and orgasmically lick he road that it drove on...but thats just me:licker:

Deniz
05-07-2003, 04:56 PM
hahaha ok i get the point. Who knows maybe i'll start drooling over one too in the future... :flash:

daggerlee
05-07-2003, 05:12 PM
ok so we all know the actual enzo's carbon fiber is a mesh/basketweave, but at a distance it actually looks like SMS's decals

do you guys see what i mean? the further away you are the more you notice the diagonal lines

SMS does sell Basketweave carbon fiber now at their site. So yes, it does look like an SMS decal. ;)

Add your comment to this topic!