Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Please Help! Completely busted cigarette lighter

georgk
06-12-2010, 11:10 PM
Hello all.

I have an FM transmitter for my iPod that I routinely plug into my cigarette lighter. When unplugging it today, it pulled out the entire cigarette lighter out of these two prongs it was hooked up to. When I tried to pull the wires out of the hole to reconnect the prongs to the cigarette lighter, that wire fell very deeply into the interior of the car, and I can't get it now.

In my mothers frustration, she shoved the cigarette lighter back into the hole even though its not connected to the prongs. My question is, is it in any way at all dangerous to drive the car? Is there anyway those wires and the prongs of the cigarette lighter could do damage to other parts of the car? What is the absolute worst thing that can happen if I drive the car while it is in this state?

garyauto64
03-17-2011, 11:16 PM
Hello all.

I have an FM transmitter for my iPod that I routinely plug into my cigarette lighter. When unplugging it today, it pulled out the entire cigarette lighter out of these two prongs it was hooked up to. When I tried to pull the wires out of the hole to reconnect the prongs to the cigarette lighter, that wire fell very deeply into the interior of the car, and I can't get it now.

In my mothers frustration, she shoved the cigarette lighter back into the hole even though its not connected to the prongs. My question is, is it in any way at all dangerous to drive the car? Is there anyway those wires and the prongs of the cigarette lighter could do damage to other parts of the car? What is the absolute worst thing that can happen if I drive the car while it is in this state?

One of those wires has power in it, if it should touch earth hopefully it will just blow a fuse, or worse senario it will melt the wiring as it will short to earth, easiest way is to remove the fuse for that circuit good luck

Add your comment to this topic!