Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2001 XJ 4x4 4.0l question about front end shimmy

mtulett1
06-12-2010, 07:56 PM
My xj has a shimmy that hapens very rarely and only when i hit very small repeated bumps in the road. Its not a death vibration but it has the same action as one but is very minimal compared to the death shake. it has been there a while and i just replaced my wheel u-joints and the frone wheel bearings. ANy ideas on this? It doesn't happen often but enough for me to know that something isn't right. oh ya I have a 3" skyjacker lift kit on it.

fredjacksonsan
06-13-2010, 06:39 PM
1st thing I'd think of is the steering stabilizer; 2nd would be alignment.

LittleHoov
06-14-2010, 01:04 AM
Check your trackbar first, then check tie-rod ends and ball joints, basically the whole front end.

Steering stabilizers dont usually cause problems, they usually end up getting replaced to band-aid something else.

fredjacksonsan
06-14-2010, 08:21 AM
Check your trackbar first, then check tie-rod ends and ball joints, basically the whole front end.

Steering stabilizers dont usually cause problems, they usually end up getting replaced to band-aid something else.

That's often true and I've been accused of starting with the simple stuff :tongue:On our 04 Wrangler with 125K, the entire front end was in good shape, alignment was right on and we still had a small tremor or wobble when going over certain [but not all] bumps, just as mtulett described -- steering stabilizer and shocks cured the issue completely.

mtulett1
06-14-2010, 07:21 PM
i think it is the steering stabilizer...just because itthe last time i had the death wobble it was due to the steering stabilizer. But that being said i know i need an alignment so i am starting with that on wed. thanks guys i appreciate it!

Add your comment to this topic!