Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Coolant leak

Badfish169
06-12-2010, 06:27 PM
91 cutlass ciera 3.3l 149,500 miles

I got this small coolant leak on the passenger side of my engine. The weird thing is it seems like it only leaks when the engine in cold.(I'm guessing it just evaporates when the engine gets hot)Water pump isn't leaking. I did my intake manifold gasket last year so that shouldn't be it.

I replaced the lower radiator hose since I thought thats where it was coming from. But now after My engine cooled off I can see a small amount of coolant leaking again.

There are no real puddles on the ground but on the frame by the motor mount i can see where it groups up.

If it was my timing chain cover it would be leaking oil.. so I'm at a loss with this one. It just bugs me and would like some suggestions to what it could be.

maxwedge
06-12-2010, 07:44 PM
Get a pressure tester on it and the leak should be evident.

Badfish169
06-12-2010, 07:58 PM
I don't really feel like spending 70 bucks for a tester.. Is there somewhere that will test it for free?

ricebike
06-12-2010, 11:29 PM
you can "rent" it... autozone has a free loan tool program

i believe other parts stores in your area can do the same

pepboys did back then, but i dunno now

advance auto parts has a similar loan-tool program

Badfish169
06-13-2010, 05:44 AM
K thanks I'll give it a try

Badfish169
06-13-2010, 10:56 AM
Did the test and it held steady pressure so I took a closer look and it looks like it's coming from the timing cover gasket where the coolant flows through it. Good news is that its not mixed with the oil. Should I be in a hurry to change the gasket?

Badfish169
06-16-2010, 11:53 AM
Quick question,

I decided to change the timing cover gasket(and everything else it involves) and I am stuck at the crank positioning sensor. Is their a dowell pin in the middle of the CPS bracket to the engine block? I got the two bolts out that were holding it to the cover but it's stuck. I've searched for similar issues but haven't found an answer.

Add your comment to this topic!