Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Couple of turbo related questions

R34 GT-R SKYLINE
05-05-2003, 05:59 PM
Ok I have a few questions for you guys and please only post answers related to the Skyline (RB) or Supra (2JZ) nothing else.

1.How many pounds of boost do you guys run on the street (normal driving) and on the track?

2.What turbo(s) are you guys running? What do you like about your single or twin set up?

3.How long do you think a RB or 2JZ would last at consistent levels of about 30 pounds of boost?

Any answers would be appreciated thanks:cool:

R33
05-06-2003, 03:40 AM
Hi, to answer ur queries:

Q1: I run 1.25 bar for everyday usage of my GTR without octane booster. On the track, I run 1.55 bar (soemtimes it maxed at about 1.65 bar) with octane booster (I normally use HKS DHOB - a can for a tankful...the fule over here is 97RON).

Q2: I use twin HKS GT 2540 turbines. A bit laggy downwards of 4000rpm but wait till it hits 5000rpm when the car will just go to warp speed! Plenty of top end power and excellent on the track. On the drag strip, the car will only show it's true colours in 3rd gear, which I think is around the 200 m mark. Apart from the lag (which is acceptable to me), I have no complaint.

Q3:30 pounds equals to 2 bar if I am not wrong. That's a helluva boost. With that kind of boost, we may be talking about 600hp at the wheels. The gearbox will go first. The bottom end is quite strong and with proper fueling and sufficient oil supply, I think it should be okay although a rebuilt may be necessary if you drag or race it often enough. You would be surprise as to how long the RB might last at that level provided that it is done properly.
I run at 1.55 bar on the track...I have done more than 200 laps around the 5.5 km per lap track at ambient temp of not less than 34C! And the engine is not showing any kind of stress at all! Apart from that, I drive it everyday. It has been 20 mths!

My 2 penny worth.

Supra650RSP
05-06-2003, 08:16 AM
On the Supra: I run 15 pounds of boost while daily driving and will run up to 18 pounds on high octane pump gas. That equals roughly 540 hp on the street. I used to run no more than 24 pounds of boost on the stock internals which gave me the 631 rwhp. Since then the internals have been replaced and it has seen about 4 or 5 30 pounds of boost runs but it likes to spit out clutches at that point so I try and avoid it as much as possible. I run an ITS T66 Turbo on this car.

Honestly, I haven't driven the Skyline yet with the new Turbo. I'm having the motor sent to a shop to be bored and sleeved and all the internals replaced with HKS inernals. It's also going to get to see a Triple Plate Clutch, or a really strong Dual Clutch so hopefully it will last longer. I'm hoping to be able to run 30 pounds consistantly on the track. It is a pretty strong motor but we'll see.
It's going to have an HKS T51R SPL, which is a big ass Single Turbo

Add your comment to this topic!