Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

How did u get in to this hobbie??

Lan_evo
05-05-2003, 01:57 PM
How did u get in to this hobbie??
LT

Deejay360
05-05-2003, 01:58 PM
I started when my bro showed me how interesting building models were when I was around 13years old and in middle school I was in a model car club. Getting more info on building cars and wining contests there.
Tom

Junhao
05-05-2003, 02:07 PM
Assembled and raced Tamiya Mini 4WD cars when I was around 9 or 10. Then got into building Super Deformed (SD) Gundams with my brother and started building some larger Gundams when I became older. After watching Formula 1, I was interested in building a Ferrari F2000 and I bought one, and got into model car building since then.:)

nervestrikes
05-05-2003, 02:12 PM
I got interested when I was seven years old watching my older brother muck up a 1/8 scale trans-am. I picked up one to actually build when I was around twenty two. I liked building my dream cars.

Lan_evo
05-05-2003, 02:22 PM
I got hooked on building models from my friend at school. Well making models are just so fun when u have nothing to do.
And thanx for sharing ur stories.
Lt

cph81
05-05-2003, 03:06 PM
After I felt in love with the GT-R, I always want to own one. But US doesn't have GT-R :( so I started to build my own in 24th scale.

zerrocool
05-05-2003, 03:18 PM
ok here's my story :

it's really strange haha

i whas just browsing trough the web and i found a car site with a link to
modelauto.pagina.nl wich is a dutch site with modelcar websites links.
i just clicked a link and i came on this site http://users.skynet.be/automotomover/ when browsing trough that site i whas really amazed by what you can do wich 1/24 kits.
then i clicked on AF link (never heard of AF before that day) and i came on this forum and grom that day i came on this forum i'm addicted!!!!
that's my story how i got hooked up

integra818
05-05-2003, 03:41 PM
My dad and brother came home with two model kits,a Dodge Ram pickup and a Corvette Concept car thingy. I "built" (krazyglue:bloated: ) the Corvette, I dunno where it is now.

TURBO_EK4
05-05-2003, 03:42 PM
My dad. He ownz...:cool:

tonioseven
05-05-2003, 04:28 PM
I was given a bunch of built-ups when I was quite younger and the rest is blurry!!:bloated: :alien: I've been building off and on for the last 25 years or so! I just don't blow them up with firecrackers anymore!:devil:

Bimmerkid
05-05-2003, 04:37 PM
I just really got into cars, then I found the AF car modeling board and decided to try it.

I was hooked.

fullbloodchop01
05-05-2003, 04:38 PM
Originally posted by tonioseven
I just don't blow them up with firecrackers anymore!:devil:
hahahaha, i need to try that 2ith one of the early mess up kits:devil:

well i got involved in this hobby by a few of my friends. they were really into the customizing thing and i thought it was cool so i bouht my firt kit, came out shitty but i was hooked:cool:

daggerlee
05-05-2003, 04:52 PM
Went over to my friend Jaxson's house where he showed me his C5R Corvette. Couple weeks later, went to the hobby shop and bought a Tamiya 300ZX, X-18, and X-11, plus a Testors starter kit. The rest is, well, history. :)

Lownslow
05-05-2003, 04:52 PM
i started at age 8, i was in PR at the time i was so bored my mom bought me a 58 impala with a paint kit since them ive been hooked heres a pic of the impala 10 years later(needs reworking) the metal trim was metal tape for insulation pipes.

http://mediaservice.photoisland.com/auction/May/2003556023783163413935.jpg

T\/\/iN-Tu|2Bo
05-05-2003, 05:31 PM
I got interested when i was about 8 or 9. My uncle had a collection of model cars and i loved them. So i started my very first model when i was about 10 or so. It was a WT90 Camaro Snap-Fit model by Lindberg manufactured in 1982. I still have it but it's in pieces:(

Ghost_9418
05-05-2003, 05:34 PM
I was just bored on day and decided to get a model because ive never made one before:)

Hiroboy
05-05-2003, 05:35 PM
I went to the Network Q Rally of Great Britian in 1998-ish, and bought a Tamiya model EVO VI from a stall, not looked back since.

emufarmer
05-05-2003, 06:11 PM
bimmerkid got me into it a little and the rest is just that i liked howheels cars then just got into models

primera man
05-05-2003, 06:26 PM
Went into a toy shop when i was around 12 years old and saw some kits on sale and thought i'd give one a try and see what happened.
Been hooked evey since.

flyonthewall
05-05-2003, 06:29 PM
Don't know how it started but i've always been drawn to models and modeling. In the early days i had to build them with the old man (i guess i couldn't be trusted with glue *sniff*:D), those were the days when we built a model in one afternoon with no paints - now that's what u call straight from the box:D

Eventually i was considerd old enough to attempt models on my own - about 8 or 9, I cant remember if my first model was a Monogram TransAm or an Airfix HMS Ark Royal??? Both turned out to be piles of shit anyway!:)

OPM
05-05-2003, 06:33 PM
calling myself a 3d modeler...

well,first interest with around 7,lots of revell shit:D

big break till last year,found this forum over another 3dmodelling board and saw all those models..thought i give it a try,and here i am now,nothing is mroe fun than modeling "real" cars!:D

grandprix92
05-05-2003, 09:07 PM
It all strarted when i was 5. my dad had bought me 2 NASCAR model kits of my favorite race cars (the cartoon network Chevy and for some odd reason the texaco Ford). after sitting in my closet for 3-4 years, i took them out and started building them. i soon quit because my dad said it was for a rainy day (there had been thousands but he never wanted to build them with me) so i stopped. i went to the store and found a snap-fast Lamborgini Diablo model, so my mom bought it for me and i built it (shittiest model job i ever did) and felt satisfied. it remains today to be the only model that had sticker decals instead of the kind you soak in water. i didnt need to paint it, and it looks like crap compared to the rest of my skill 2 models. many of them Chevy:finger: . and thats how i was born.

D[X]P
05-05-2003, 10:09 PM
When i visited this sub-forum

Asmenoth
05-05-2003, 11:57 PM
Well, let's see...can't remember if it was AMT or Monogram that offered this, but my Grandmother got me a membership in the model of the month club when I was 6 or 7. Snap kits at first, then my Dad bought me my first glue together kit, an early '80's Ford truck. He assembled and painted it while I watched. After that....I shudder to think about how much I have spent on this hobby. :D

JE123
05-06-2003, 12:39 AM
I started when I about 10 years ago when I was given a snap-tite revell Corvette. I still have it somewhere.

primera man
05-06-2003, 12:43 AM
Originally posted by D[X]P
When i visited this sub-forum
We try to tell people that come here its bad for there wallet's ;)

BOOSTD
05-06-2003, 01:04 AM
I have always been into imports and when I saw that Fujimi made a stack of cool imports and that you could buy exhausts and wheels for them I was hooked. My dad has always been into building military models so I guess I always had an interest in models too. I am a real perfectionist so if my models dont turn out PERFECT then I have to start again. My brush painting skills are quite good as I used to paint Warhammer miniatures for my local Games Workshop store but my spray can skills need work. Anyway thats me :D

Guido
05-06-2003, 04:41 AM
Originally posted by zerrocool
ok here's my story :

it's really strange haha

i whas just browsing trough the web and i found a car site with a link to
modelauto.pagina.nl wich is a dutch site with modelcar websites links.
i just clicked a link and i came on this site http://users.skynet.be/automotomover/ when browsing trough that site i whas really amazed by what you can do wich 1/24 kits.
then i clicked on AF link (never heard of AF before that day) and i came on this forum and grom that day i came on this forum i'm addicted!!!!
that's my story how i got hooked up

That is the best compliment I can get for my site! Mission accomplished I'd say. ;) Even the "forum-page" worked well apparentely. :D :D

Guido
05-06-2003, 04:56 AM
as a ki(t)d we used to live near a military airfield and I was watching those planes every single moment I could with my binoculars. I even had a logbook. So aged 10 I picked up my first aircraftkit Airfix and was helped by my neighbour who worked as an aircraft mechanic on the base. So I made French jet fighters mainly in 1/48 scale from Ecsi and Heller until I went to the Military academy. During that period I didn't do any modeling and after graduating I picked up modeling again and strangely enough I started straightaway with cars. Never done an aircrarft again... And the military days and more then 10 years behind me now :angel:

THWATAM!

Guido :D

exhaust smoke
05-06-2003, 05:54 AM
It first started when I was about four and my Dad used to buy Airfix aircraft kits from the local newsagents and put them together for me, no paint, etc., in about a morning! As Fly said, straight from the box. I remember I used to stand at the top of the stairs and chuck 'em down!....I was only four!!

Anyway, a long hiatus ensued, then around 1995 an aircraft partworks came out with a sprue a month and that perked my interest again. Soon discovered that car kits were made, and as I had always loved cars, it was the logical transition. My first proper kit was a AMT/ERTL Dodge Viper. Wasn't bad, but not too great either. It was at the stage where I did not use Primer as I though it would make the paint too thick! I've still got it in the loft.

The rest is history.

Oh AF came about last year via an internet search. I think Pmans models encouraged me to delve further into the Forum. Now I'm lost in it and can't find my way out!

-Pille-
05-06-2003, 01:52 PM
I got into model building through diecast cars - because the model I wanted didn't exist I had to make one myself. That was last year.

I just wish I'd have more time for this hobby.

-Pille-

Deejay360
05-06-2003, 03:21 PM
Wow U guys have been in this hobby for long year.
And very interesting stories u guys have.
Tom

Sidewinder-03
05-06-2003, 04:28 PM
I got tired of destroying my big brother's models. So I decided to build my own to destroy and figured out that I liked building them(my Mom also started to refuse to get them for me if I kept droping M-80's into them).:rolleyes: I've been building them ever since.

MX100
05-06-2003, 05:33 PM
endlesskev86 got me into this~
I was @ his house once and he showed me his models which sux so I know I had to get into this and beat his ass! hahah jk!
but ya he introduce me to this!! WHich I should thank him for cuz its kick ass!! :D

clatescivicr
05-06-2003, 05:51 PM
I had done a few about 10 years ago, and then stopped since I was busy with sports and with real cars, then I came here and got hooked! Ended up spending way too much money and no time to build them because of my 2 jobs :( :( Over 15 mods that I want to build and then I have a few left I need to sell

Check the classifieds and you will see :(

KOFFEE-BLACK
05-06-2003, 05:56 PM
Originally posted by cph81
After I felt in love with the GT-R, I always want to own one. But US doesn't have GT-R :( so I started to build my own in 24th scale.

There not THAT good man! Over ratted if you ask me. But on every forum Im on, theres always the GTR vs Supra thread, and on an Aussie forum, the GTR comes second best :D

Well, my story is, my uncle once gave me an Anglier (I was about 10) man did I stuff that up, I glued the wheels to the guards, painted them brown, and the car, I painted blue with those school paints! Then I got a Nissan Navara as a gift, Although I stuffed it up too, but not as bad as the first. Only now, Im strating to get serious.

themodelkid
05-06-2003, 05:59 PM
I got into it after my dad bought me a corvette snap-tite car for my birthday when i was 6 (17 now) Like alot of people i'm been hooked ever since. I wish i still had my first model.... oh well. lol

srlxy
05-06-2003, 08:39 PM
I always love cars but owning a car here in Singapore is outrageoues with so many things to pay, you are considered quite rich to own one here (though i see so many with cars... Maybe its just my age)

So I started looking at Autoart cars but the prices were quite steep then my girlfriend told me to try the Tamiya 1/24 Subaru WRC 98 then I got hooked till now she wished she never say anything about it but she still supports me in model car building

Genesis2
05-06-2003, 09:33 PM
when I was little I always like to build plane models, but that was when I was little, know it was hard for me to get into modeling because I get mad easyly(Sp), and I poparly throw my model on the wall.
But I mostly like diecast models now

Also my friend got me in to modeling

Thanks DXP

Lan_evo
05-08-2003, 09:45 PM
Thanx guys for sharing your stories. They were very interesting and one thing I found out is that we start from young ages and stayed hooked on. And thanx again for your stories.
LT

LauBak
05-08-2003, 10:26 PM
I fall in love with car since I was 2(according to my mom :p ) but in Hong Kong it's so hard to buy a car. 5 years ago I bought my first model kit(AXIA GTR-R32,by Fujimi) and since then I turn my favour to 1/24 one.

At that moment I don't even know what "DECAL" was and I even put the whole sheet of big AXIA decal into water...... :uhoh:

gundam1969
05-09-2003, 07:22 AM
I got married and therfore needed to be alone alot !!!!!!!!!

Paul.

PS. Never marry a Mexican:bandit: :rocket:

irupp33
05-09-2003, 09:06 AM
its cheaper than buying the real things!!! lol actually i dont really know why i got into it i just love the satisfaction of the completed model on a shelf.

T\/\/iN-Tu|2Bo
05-14-2003, 06:19 PM
Hey, srlxy......where did you get those decals for the HKS R32 Skyline or did you paint them on;) :D

supratuner
05-14-2003, 08:08 PM
When i was in the 4th grade, my brotehr was really into Camaros, so i got him an AMT camaro car kit for christmas, my brother had used to build model cars, thus, that was a good kit,
he never really buitl it, and in the 7th grade, i built it.

i built 2 other kits, then stopped modeling for a whole year, and got back into it, right after i got into imports, and started off with a F150 Lightning and an ITR

Camber
05-14-2003, 08:17 PM
My dad built me a 57 chevy when I was 5. I didnt build any till i was 10.. Built a Camaro when i was 10, stopped until i was 12, when I built my first Tamiya/Import 300zx..

Add your comment to this topic!