Impala, low engine oil light

frogger23
06-09-2010, 08:22 PM
My 2001 Impala low engine light comes on each time I start the car. I replaced the sensor in the bottom of the oil pan, but that did not work. I haven't been able to trace the wires yet until I get a wiring diagrahm. Any ideas on the next step? The car does not use any oil.

maxwedge
06-10-2010, 07:46 AM
Does it stay on?

frogger23
06-10-2010, 07:46 PM
It stays on for about 2 min and then does not come on again until you turn it off and re-start.

maxwedge
06-11-2010, 07:54 AM
Should go off in seconds after the start.

j cAT
06-11-2010, 09:30 AM
My 2001 Impala low engine light comes on each time I start the car. I replaced the sensor in the bottom of the oil pan, but that did not work. I haven't been able to trace the wires yet until I get a wiring diagrahm. Any ideas on the next step? The car does not use any oil.

since it does work but slow to turn off I would check the oil condition in your vehicle ...what color is it ? how often do you change the oil ? is it CHANGED WHEN HOT ? what wt oil do you use ?

sludge/coolant in the oil can create this as well...

frogger23
06-11-2010, 10:33 PM
Change oil around 3000 miles. Sometimes slightly more. I commute 150 mi round trip, not much start stop driving. 5w30. The oil looks good. I usually change it when it is still warm. Is there an oil treatment I could run through?

j cAT
06-12-2010, 08:57 AM
Change oil around 3000 miles. Sometimes slightly more. I commute 150 mi round trip, not much start stop driving. 5w30. The oil looks good. I usually change it when it is still warm. Is there an oil treatment I could run through?

put 4oz of marvel mystrey oil in the crankcase ..this will slowly breakdown the sludge and carbon in the engine...monitor the engine oil color and when it gets dark replace the oil ..repeat this until the problem is gone ..only change oil when , the engine is at normal operating temp ..run it for 5-10 mi then do the oil ..use good filters wix, purolator PLUS, napa gold...don't use the fram ..poor quality on construction ...

Blue Bowtie
06-12-2010, 01:03 PM
Great idea! Except instead of a half-cup of Marvel Mystery Oil add five quarts of Mobil 1 10W30 (yes, you can use 10W30 above 40F - Read the owners manual). Use a PF52 filter in place of the PF47. I do that on MY 2001 Impala/3800 and it cleans far better than any additive. The PF52 (even the newer 2009 style with the longer can) filter will fit but it's a bit of a tight squeeze. It doesn't hang out where it can interfere or get damaged so it should be safe. Mine's been that way for a few years and countless oil changes. More filter paper area is a good thing for both flow and cleaning.

However, since the sludge may be too much for anything to clean and there is actually no oil FLOW at the pressure sensor but only dead-end pressure, you may have to remove the oil pressure transducer and drain it, then clean out the port in the end to restore its operation. It should be right about the oil pump outlet on the right side of the timing cover (rear side of the engine on a Wrong Wheel Drive car).

maxwedge
06-12-2010, 01:55 PM
Maybe I am missing something here, but isn't he saying it is the low oil level lite, not the oil pressure warning?

Blue Bowtie
06-12-2010, 03:55 PM
You might be missing something, or I might be. The "LOW OIL" indication in the little DIC panel on the I/P could be from pressure or level. The OP didn't mention whether it was a red alarm or yellow alarm. Either way, the cleanup in the sump will be more thorough with constant use of PAO synthetic. If the level sensor is an issue it will also be cleaned, but removal and manual cleaning of that could also be done:

http://www.wwdsltd.com/files/1996LT1OilLevelSensor.jpg

maxwedge
06-12-2010, 07:46 PM
I guess we need the op to clear up the issue. LOL

frogger23
06-12-2010, 09:13 PM
Thanks for the ideas. I might try both cleaning methods. When I put the sensor in the oil pan the light still came on. I guess if there is a sludge in the bottom the new sensor wouldn't work any better than the old one.

j cAT
06-13-2010, 05:51 PM
Thanks for the ideas. I might try both cleaning methods. When I put the sensor in the oil pan the light still came on. I guess if there is a sludge in the bottom the new sensor wouldn't work any better than the old one.

sludge in the crankcase fouls these sensors , as well as damaging the engine...

the use of synthetic oils with the recommended amount of marvel mystery oil that I stated , would be best...

If you had used synthetic from day one sludge in the engine would be very rare.. sludge from coolant getting into the oil is quite common ..

only change oil when the engine is hot, / at normal operating temps...

frogger23
06-13-2010, 06:15 PM
Ok. Thanks for the tip.

frogger23
06-16-2010, 08:51 PM
Just an update. I changed my oil Monday. Put in 6 oz of Marvel Mystery oil and used synthetic oil. After 1 75 mile trip my light did not stay on. I have started it several times and the light has yet to stay on. I put some in my gas also as the directions say it also cleans injectors/plugs. Thanks for the tip. I've been fighting that light for about 6 months.

j cAT
06-17-2010, 08:51 AM
Just an update. I changed my oil Monday. Put in 6 oz of Marvel Mystery oil and used synthetic oil. After 1 75 mile trip my light did not stay on. I have started it several times and the light has yet to stay on. I put some in my gas also as the directions say it also cleans injectors/plugs. Thanks for the tip. I've been fighting that light for about 6 months.

thanks for your results on this issue ..
Keep an eye on the oil condition ..If it gets black change the oil...then repeat the treatment ...the black oil is the carbon , this wears out the engine ..

you should notice that the engine idles smoother and has less noise..adding marvel to the fuel increases the compression slightly ..

Add your comment to this topic!