Question about MAF sensor on 99 Crown Vic

LouB
06-05-2010, 11:43 AM
Hello,

I've read that cleaning your MAF sensor can improve gas mileage. I've just bought a 99 Crown Vic in great shape, with 83k miles on it. I'm not a mechanic, but I'm pretty handy with tools.

Can I clean an MAF sensor myself, and if so, where is it located, how do I recognize it and how do I clean it?

Thanks,
Louis

Blue)(Fusion
06-05-2010, 12:20 PM
I attached a picture of where it is located circled in red. I'm no artist so don't make fun.

Yours will look different since I have changed mine with a larger one and a different tube, but same place.

You can definitely clean the MAF yourself. It's easier than changing the oil. To clean your MAF, remove the top of the airbox as if you were checking the air filter, disconnect the electrical connector from the MAF, remove the two black tubes from the intake tube (near the throttle body), and then use a screw driver to loosen and remove the intake tube from the throttle body.

EDIT: I forget if you need to remove the engine cover or not to loosen the air tube from the throttle body. If you do, just use a 1/4" ratchet to unscrew the black bolt on the top of the engine cover. Then it just slides forward a bit and comes right out.

Spray your CRC MAF Cleaner (available at your local hardware store) onto the MAF from the airbox-end. You are aiming at the thin wire, which you will see from the airbox-end. DO NOT TOUCH THE MAF WIRE! The MAF wire is delicate. Touching it will damage it. I spray a few good squirts of the cleaner onto the wire and let it drop out the far end of the intake tube.

Re-attach everything and, for good measure, reset your PCM to re-learn the optimal fuel/spark tables. Do this by removing the negative battery terminal wire for about 15 minutes than reconnecting.

Fire it up and let the PCM re-learn optimal idle by just letting it idle for about 5 minutes, than take it for a spin if you wish.

LouB
06-05-2010, 12:31 PM
Thanks again for the quick reply. You've been a lot of help to me, and I appreciate it. Based on your photo, I have already located the MAF cover.

Louis

Blue)(Fusion
06-05-2010, 12:37 PM
No problem, it's why we're here :D

Add your comment to this topic!