Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Popping when backing up

Brian931
06-05-2010, 11:30 AM
Hi, I have a 2006 SV6 ext. with about 85k kms. For about the last year I have had an issue with a pretty noticable popping sound coming from the front end when backing up like into a parking spot. I had it to a dealer last year and they said it was brake pads shifting from using aftermarket pads but I don't believe that, they simply wanted to sell me an overpriced brake job. I am thinking possibly a strut problem but fear it may be driveline or some other suspension parts. The van runs fine and the sound only really hapens when backing up and most noticbly when turning while doing it. It only happens once while backing up so I am thinking somthing is changing position with the change in direction, I don't notice any sound when going forward from reverse. I have lived with it for awhile but it bugs me! Any ideas?????
Thanks

kmacks27
12-27-2011, 09:02 AM
I am having the same problem same year 2006 sv6 around 84000 miles my noise is coming form the drivers side.

GMCustomerService
12-28-2011, 07:44 AM
Good morning kmacks27,

I understand it is not always a viable option, but if you were to decide on visiting a dealership, please let me know through a private message and I would be happy to work with you and your dealer towards getting this noise diagnosed. In your message, please include the name of your dealership, the last 8 digits of your VIN, and your appointment information.

Regards,
Sarah
GM Customer Service

1999montana
01-05-2012, 01:55 PM
I am having the same problem same year 2006 sv6 around 84000 miles my noise is coming form the drivers side.

Through my experience with these vans, you will likely find it is a shock mount at 84,000+ miles. The grease in the mounts dries up and the weight of the vehicle causes the mount to bind and release with each turn of the steering wheel. However, it could also be the steering rack, as a similar sound is known to come from that location as well. If I were to guess, I'd say shock mounts. If you grab the spring and have someone turn the wheels slowly lock to lock, you will feel the pop and the spring give as the spindle turns.

Ultimate solution is a new set of mounts, but if you are going to replace them, you should replace the shocks too. Monroe makes a 'quick strut' that anyone can install (fool proof). Comes with new mounts, springs, and all new shock pieces (foam dampeners and telescoping shields for the shocks).

Cressidaadr
01-20-2012, 08:03 PM
I will guess it is going to be a bad front wheel bearing. (On the side of the noise, of course)

Let us know when / if you find out.

kmacks27
05-08-2012, 07:42 AM
Got the van back from the dealer and noise is still there. They replaced the stearing rack,intermediate shaft, front lower control arm bushings, tie rod ends, both front wheel bearings. I still have the popping noise in the drivers front when I back out of the driveway. My driveway is on a hill if that helps any. What could be left?

GTP Dad
05-08-2012, 08:00 AM
Did they check the CV joints in the front axle shafts? I suspect you have an issue with one or both.

kmacks27
05-08-2012, 08:05 AM
I hope they did they had it for a week. If I have time after work I will be giving them an earfull later.

gmtech1
05-08-2012, 08:16 AM
I suggest you check the bolts for the support rods that run from the strut tower to the support tha runs over the radiator. There is one on each side. The two bolts come loose at the front and cause slight movement that can and will create a pop or a creaking noise. make sure they are tight!

kmacks27
05-08-2012, 08:25 AM
Those are the black bars that run from the front of the vehicle to the sides? One has the coolant resivoir on top of one i think.

gmtech1
05-08-2012, 02:17 PM
Yes, those are the bars I am talking about.

Tech II
05-09-2012, 11:10 AM
"They replaced the stearing rack,intermediate shaft, front lower control arm bushings, tie rod ends, both front wheel bearings. "

A GM dealership changed all those parts for a noise that is still there? I would be calling GM Customer Assistance and complain....

1999montana
05-09-2012, 05:13 PM
Got the van back from the dealer and noise is still there. They replaced the stearing rack,intermediate shaft, front lower control arm bushings, tie rod ends, both front wheel bearings. I still have the popping noise in the drivers front when I back out of the driveway. My driveway is on a hill if that helps any ...

Like I said in my previous post, the most likely culprit is the shock mount(s) on the end of the shock strut(s). The mounts dry up and bind. Each time the wheels turn (left or right), the spring winds up and the mount finally lets go, emitting the popping noise. A good set of quick struts should cure it (temporarily) until the new shock mounts dry up. Should be a grease fitting on them IMHO. Sometimes having the chassis oiled (rust proofed?) will lube the mounts enough to prevent binding.

I've been through this twice with the van in 225,000 KMs. The shock mounts are the least functional part on the entire front suspension. They last maybe 50,000 miles before they begin to bind and pop AGAIN!

...What could be left?... Well about the only thing the shop didn't replace is the lower ball joints, huh?

kmacks27
05-10-2012, 07:34 AM
The shop looked at the vehicle for a good hour, they think it might be the lower motor mounts going bad. Is this a tough DIY project to replace them? Also is their any way to lube the strut mount? The reason I dont think it is the strut mount is it only pops when im backing out of my driveway (my drive way is on a hill) the steering wheel is straight and when I give it the gas to back out I here the popping noise it only pops one time I put it in drive hit the gas and it pops one time other than that it only does it occasionaly after I hit the gas after a red light. Last thing been looking for the quickstruts cant find them anywhere for my van would you know where I could get them and the part number? Thanks

1999montana
06-14-2012, 11:47 PM
Sorry, hope you weren't waiting on me to return to the board. Got my hands full with a Ford and an Import at the moment, but here is some information.

The shop looked at the vehicle for a good hour, they think it might be the lower motor mounts going bad. Is this a tough DIY project to replace them?

Don't know...never done it, nor needed to either. But thinking and knowing are two quite different things. One costs way too much, and the other costs just enough if you catch my drift.

Also is their any way to lube the strut mount? The reason I dont think it is the strut mount is it only pops when im backing out of my driveway (my drive way is on a hill) the steering wheel is straight and when I give it the gas to back out I here the popping noise it only pops one time I put it in drive hit the gas and it pops one time other than that it only does it occasionaly after I hit the gas after a red light.

Last thing been looking for the quickstruts cant find them anywhere for my van would you know where I could get them and the part number? Thanks

Monroe branded the name 'Quick Strut' and they make them for a variety of vehicles, including yours. I have replaced my shocks twice, each time with Monroe Quick Struts. The mounts are not serviceable so if they lack lubricant you have to, at a minimum, replace the mounts.

Add your comment to this topic!