Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2004 GP GT2 3.8 with growing list of electrical issues

lazer2463
06-03-2010, 05:20 PM
Hello and thanks for reading.

Let me first start with the power locks only working sporadically, with the drivers door working always.

Next the blower motor started working erratically, sometimes it wouldn't start working until you rap on the dash.

Now the latest is the horn stopped working all together.

Could these problems be related or are they totally seperate issues.

Could this possibly be the BCM failing? Or related to the aftermarket remote starter? Any help is appreciated.

BNaylor
06-04-2010, 06:29 AM
For horn to start check the fuse and horn relay.

On the blower climate control issue is this a manual or automatic/digital unit?

The power door lock issue could be the BCM module but should be troubleshot to be sure.

lazer2463
06-04-2010, 07:05 AM
Thank you for the reply.

I will check the fuse and horn relay.

The HVAC blower is a manual unit.

How would i go about troubleshooting the power locks?

You don't think it is the BCM?

BNaylor
06-04-2010, 04:38 PM
You don't think it is the BCM?

It could be the BCM but whats interesting is the driver's side door works. I'd double check to make sure the right voltage is getting to the other switches first. I'd have to check the GM service manual to see how the door lock switches are wired up. Do they lock/unlock with the RKE - key fob?

Swapping out the BCM is easy but the bad part is it has to be programmed by the GM dealership with a Tech 2 scan tool.

lazer2463
06-04-2010, 07:43 PM
Hmmm.... The horn works now... did nothing to it.

The only door that will unlock with the key fob is the drivers door. Then I try to open the locks with the door switch, and that doesn't work either.

I really don't want to replace the BCM, I hope there is another explanation.

Could it be some sort of grounding issue?

BNaylor
06-05-2010, 10:56 AM
I'll check the service manual when I get a chance and get back with you.

lazer2463
06-07-2010, 06:11 AM
I'll check the service manual when I get a chance and get back with you.

Thanks alot..... I'll be waiting to hear from you

jmad04
08-07-2010, 02:43 AM
I own an 04 GP GT2 and the blower stopped working as I put the car in park a few days ago. I pulled the blower motor/fan out , tested it, and it was fine. Could be what used to be called a resister but now is called module. Costs btwn 70 and 100.00. I am lowon cash till next week so I ran the blower direct and now it only works on high, but it works. Draw power from somewhere that functions on aux so you don't kill the battery or burn out fan. Be warned, I'm pretty below average when it comes to electrical.

lazer2463
09-06-2010, 04:37 PM
Thanks for the replies.

OK, I took off the end of the dash near the BCM. Checked the plug and wiggled the wires around and everything started working again. I then wiggled the wires again and everything quit again. There are splices in the wires to the BCM for the remote start. They just have the insulation removed and the remote starter wires wrapped around them and taped, no solder. Looks like a poor install job.

Has anyone else experienced this from a bad remote starter installation? Could this be the cause of my problems? Should I just get the remote starter removed?

doctorhrdware
09-06-2010, 10:58 PM
It is possible that is the cause of your problems. First thing I would do is solder the wires. It is not very hard thing to do. Then see if you continue to have the same problems. I think that should fix the original problems that you were having.

lazer2463
12-22-2010, 09:21 AM
First I contacted Directed Electronics to see if the installation was covered under their lifetime warranty, here is the email.

"Directed Department: Warranty

Feedback/Question: I'm having a problem with the way my remote starter was installed by your authorized dealer, my mechanic found loose connections near the BCM. I'm having various electrical problems with my car that are related to the remote starter (locks and horn), and when the connections get wiggled the problems come and go. Does the lifetime warranty cover installation problems?"

Response from Directed,
No…………

Please read your owner’s manual to find the warranty Policy for this Alarm System.

Thank you

Great customer service, don't ya think.........

So, I contacted the installer and brought it in. They checked and soldered all connections and replaced my keyfob. Everything now works as it should.

So, don't count on customer service from Directed Electronics for any help.

Thanks everybody for your help.

Add your comment to this topic!