Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

AC-can I self install or need a pro

Tagahoe
06-02-2010, 07:49 PM
My AC isn't cooling. Blower blows, but not cool. Compressor spins....spins, clicks, spins the opposite way, then spins other way.
Can I fix this problem myself, or does a pro have to do it? Freon pressure checked out good.
98-tahoe 2-door 5.7L 4x4

j cAT
06-02-2010, 08:15 PM
My AC isn't cooling. Blower blows, but not cool. Compressor spins....spins, clicks, spins the opposite way, then spins other way.
Can I fix this problem myself, or does a pro have to do it? Freon pressure checked out good.
98-tahoe 2-door 5.7L 4x4

I would have an ac shop that does this type of work , test out your system..you may have air in the refrigerant ...this will give you pressure but not much cooling...could also be damaged/restrictions in the system...

Cookiebaggs
06-03-2010, 07:18 AM
Check out http://www.autoacforum.com/categories.cfm?catid=2. Lots of good information about how to service the AC on your vehicle if you decide to DIY.

I had to change the compressor on my 97 Tahoe because it was leaking. The belly of the compressor was covered in refrigerant oil. As long as the system was open, I also opted to change the dryer and o-tube. I added some dye, pulled a vacuum and recharged. It worked for the summer and slowly leaked out over the winter. Luckily I put dye in and was able to see that I had a leak at the low pressure cut off switch on the dryer. I replaced that, vacuumed the system and recharged again. So far so good.

Add your comment to this topic!