Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Costco stripped my wheel studs, what should I do?

jetboy2004
06-02-2010, 07:10 PM
So I just got a tire rotation done at Costco. When I went to pick up the car, they told me that two studs were stripped due to wear and tear and they need to be replaced.

I just don't understand how this could be a wear and tear issue. The stud can't just strip itself unless it was the mechanic who cross-threaded the stud when installing the lug nuts.

Should they be the ones to blame for the stripped studs? Or should I just suck it up and pay $75 to have them replaced?

Help please.

CapriRacer
06-03-2010, 04:50 AM
First, you didn't tell us the year, make and model of your car. More importantly, how many miles you have on it.

Second, stripped lugs are caused when the nuts are screwed ON, and you discover them when they are taken OFF! So Costco didn't do it, they found them.

jetboy2004
06-03-2010, 01:31 PM
First, you didn't tell us the year, make and model of your car. More importantly, how many miles you have on it.

Second, stripped lugs are caused when the nuts are screwed ON, and you discover them when they are taken OFF! So Costco didn't do it, they found them.

It was a 2001 Toyota Corolla with approx. 110,000 miles.

They didn't say when they discovered it, I was just told they were stripped. They could've been the ones who stripped it when they put it back on. And besides, I only take my car to Costco to get my tires rotated.

CapriRacer
06-04-2010, 05:34 AM
Generally, the guy putting the nut back on doesn't know that he stripped the threads. It is discovered when the nut comes off. Even if he does know, he generally doesn't mention it - he leaves it as it is.

Also, techs will remove the nuts to rotate tires, check and repair brakes, etc. So if any of these things were done prior to the last time Costco did anything, then they might not be the ones who stripped the stud.

Just be sure of all the possibilities before you get insistent about who should pay for it. It gets much easier to negotiate a suitable settlement if you understand their position.

Add your comment to this topic!