Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Point me in the right direction?

19NUTZ66
06-01-2010, 05:36 PM
I have a 95 Grand Cherokee. When I turn to go around a corner or something, the front tires scoot across the pavement & slip...the steering wheel jerks. Ive had people tell me all 4X4s do this but I know better. This one is doing it pretty bad & its wearing the outside of the front tires fairly fast. Ive had it on the alignment rack... I have SLIGHT play in a few joints & they wouldnt go any further. Personally, I think its more than an alignment problem. Help plz?

fredjacksonsan
06-02-2010, 06:44 AM
Sounds like you have the Full Time 4wd system to me. The symptoms you're talking about indicate that the viscous coupler in the transfer case is going bad.

Do a search in this area for viscous coupler and you'll find a good bit of information.

mastertech1964
06-16-2010, 06:18 PM
i have to agree with mr jackson i used to frequently repair these at the dealer and replace the coupler to repair what is referred to as "stickslip" servicing the transfer case usually isnt a help unless it were of the newer 247 tcases and someone put in atf rather than the required mopar 247 lubricant

Add your comment to this topic!