A few problems...

Jovian
05-04-2003, 07:22 PM
Ok...this is going to be confusing... I drive a 95 jeep wrangler... the other day...on the way home...my power steering kept acting funny...not really going out..but getting loud...and harder to turn the wheel. Anyways...I got home open up the hood....and I have power steering fluid everywhere... none of the hoses are leaking...its kinda "foaming" out the cap it's not hot to the touch either... I don't know why it's doing this...

The wheels that the serpentine belt goes around... the big one on the top right moves back and forth while the engine is running... not left and right moving...front and back... which, I know can't be good... any ideas on why it's doing that...and any idea if the two problems are related in any way? coudn the vibrations from the wheel be making the fluid foam up like that...like shaking a can of pop sorta?

blah..I don't know if any of that made any sense...any help would rock.

~Jovian~

ezgoing
08-27-2003, 08:25 PM
Ok...this is going to be confusing... I drive a 95 jeep wrangler... the other day...on the way home...my power steering kept acting funny...not really going out..but getting loud...and harder to turn the wheel. Anyways...I got home open up the hood....and I have power steering fluid everywhere... none of the hoses are leaking...its kinda "foaming" out the cap it's not hot to the touch either... I don't know why it's doing this...

The wheels that the serpentine belt goes around... the big one on the top right moves back and forth while the engine is running... not left and right moving...front and back... which, I know can't be good... any ideas on why it's doing that...and any idea if the two problems are related in any way? coudn the vibrations from the wheel be making the fluid foam up like that...like shaking a can of pop sorta?

blah..I don't know if any of that made any sense...any help would rock.

~Jovian~

Well theres a possibility of one causing the problem of the other. What i mean is that it couls be an improperly adjusted drivebelt thats causing the noise, or you may have a defective pump thats causing the drivebelt to slip. Thats if they are related, if not it sounds like the drivebelt needs to be adjusted anyway if its moving all over the place. With the power steering fluid it could be a clogged hose or filter in the pump, which, I would think, could cause airation(sp?) of the PS fluid. Or it could be the pump itself.

I'd say properly adjust the drivebelt and fill the PS fluid to the right level and see what happens and go from there to track down the problem.

Hope this helps you

EZ

johnny10pin
10-03-2003, 12:58 PM
I too have a 1995 Jeep Wrangler and experienced a similar problem with power steering about 3 years ago. It would seem that my pwr str would start to fail kinda. Jerky turning and sometimes as if none whatsoever. A guy at the gas station told me when sitting idle with engine running turn my steering wheel all the way left until it whines, hold for about 5 secs and turn to the right and do the same. I tried it and have had little or no trouble since. I always do this before I change fluids and lube. Seem so work for me!!!

Add your comment to this topic!