1991 Dodge Ram van battery cable

Thelaststraw
06-01-2010, 03:58 PM
I must be used to working on newer cars because the cables (specifically the positive battery cable) has me completely stumped in this van. There are 3 separate wires attached to the terminal end of the cable, which are all tied into a clamp that connects to the battery post.

One of the larger cables goes to the starter like I would expect. A second, smaller cable also goes to the starter and connects to an adjacent terminal. A third larger cable, vanishes into a myriad of other cables just after the battery.

Any of the cables I look at in the stores only have the standard connector at the ends, nothing that comes close to fitting this setup. I tried it once and the cable fried, melted and nearly caught fire. So I really have no idea what kind of cable fits this van or what these extra wires are for or connect to.

Any suggestions?

alloro
06-01-2010, 04:51 PM
First try the dealer and if they don't have it then go with this repair lead. For up near the battery you can use one of these. It has all three of the leads you need. You would need to cut and splice the existing cable into it.

http://www.farmandfleet.com/products/564641-top_post_quick_connect_battery_cable_splice.html

tcseadoo
06-15-2010, 10:39 AM
What do you use to crimp the quick connect on the large cable? Do you need a special tool? My wire crimpers oly go as big as 10 ga.
T C

alloro
06-15-2010, 05:42 PM
It's a lug with a set-screw, not a crimp. The only one that gets crimped is the 10 gauge lead that has the yellow butt-spice connector on it already.

tcseadoo
06-15-2010, 07:02 PM
I ended up buying one that had 2 of the large cable connectors w/ the set screws and crimped both 10 gauge wires to an 8 ga lug and screwed the lug onto one side of the battery lug. I have a 2001 Ram Van 1500.
Thanks for your help.
T C

Add your comment to this topic!