Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Possible Clutch problem?

Speed Johnson
06-01-2010, 01:43 PM
I have a 1995 3000gt non turbo, heres the issue:

1st gear works just fine
2nd gear won't engage what so ever
3rd gear engages, but pops out constantly
4th gear and 5th gear engage and stay engaged
Reverse works now, but when I parked it for the winter, it would just rev and then all of a sudden engage making the car's tires chirp. 1st gear did that aswell before it was parked.

When ever I shift, it grinds, regardless of the gear, not much, but enough to make me think the clutch isn't fully engaged.

Car runs very smooth in 4th and 5th gear, doesn't buck or seem to struggle. Accelerates wonderfully all things considered.

Car seems to run better when it's "cold". Seems to really go to sh*t when it's been driven for a few hours and has warmed up.

Mechanic hasnt checked it out, but to him it sounds like the clutch, just curious as to what you guys think

I added more fluid to the hydraulic clutch. It wasn't low though, it was right at the add more line

$STEALTH$
06-04-2010, 05:25 PM
I would check your clutch master cylinder to see if it is holding fluid on the clutch if that is the problem. Sounds like your slave cylinder though. Did the mechanic check that out? Because thats what engauges the gears. Either that or you might need a new transmission.

Speed Johnson
06-04-2010, 05:36 PM
I would check your clutch master cylinder to see if it is holding fluid on the clutch if that is the problem. Sounds like your slave cylinder though. Did the mechanic check that out? Because thats what engauges the gears. Either that or you might need a new transmission.

sounds like I might have three problems

1) Clutch
2) Tranny
3) Wife, I bought the car for her to shut her up :tongue:. If it's the tranny I'm gonna get real comfortable with the couch

My brother is a deseil mechanic and one of his shop guys fixes cars on the side. Gonna bring it down to him and see what he says. I'll keep posting updates

$STEALTH$
06-05-2010, 10:03 AM
I would go on www.3sx.com (http://www.3sx.com) and look on there. They sell nothing but Stealth and 3000GT parts. Pretty cheap too... Best site you will find if your looking to replace a transmission. Either that or look for a junkyard

Stealthee
06-05-2010, 11:30 AM
3sx is far from cheap.

If you want good prices check out IPSMotorsports.net, maximalperformance.com, etc etc etc.

Add your comment to this topic!