Our Community is 705,000 Strong. Join Us.

85 S10 no start 2.5 iron duke

pjftmd107
05-30-2010, 06:03 PM
Hi everyone i have a 85 s10 that was starting to jerk and misfire when driving so i replaced the plugs and wires. cap rotor. It now will not start at all i have checked the firing order and its correct. so i replaced the coil. and still wont start i got a test light to see if i am getting any thing coming from the coil and i hook up one side the test light to the negative side of the battery and other side to the coil and get nothing. what does the coil need to fire?

MagicRat
05-30-2010, 08:34 PM
Chances are your ignition module is dead. Its a little plastic-coated thing with 4 spade terminals coming off it. It sits inside the distributor underneath the rotor.

Simply replace it with a new one, and be sure to use the white insulating grease that comes with the new part.

FWIW, anytime a GM HEI system seems to quit for no good reason, the module is usually to blame.

boomer92266
05-30-2010, 09:23 PM
also check the coil pack in distributor, i have a s10 with a 1984 camaro motor. it would jerk going down the road and cut out bad at times. i replaced all firing items(plugs, wires, ignition module, and coil). finaly the part store said i needed a new distributor, well i was about to get one when a friend said that the dist. had what some call a coil pack in them. i went to the part store and they had one it was just $15. i was a little upset when it fixed my problem. cause i had spent over a hundred dollars on things i probably didn't need yet. so be sure to replace that, you have to take your distributor out but its pretty easy to do.

Add your comment to this topic!