Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Catalytic Converter Stolen!

SoyUnHombre
05-30-2010, 03:30 PM
My catalytic converter was chopped off professionally by some creep last night....my insurance will cover it less a deductable ( crap. )

The problem is making sure it won't happen again later.

This is an expensive part and they steal them for the platinum.

I'm thinking that if I get a 'skid plate' to cover that area, they won't mess with it again since they need to be quiet and in and out very quickly. The police told me they can do this in 15-45 seconds.

Does anyone know of a source for something like this?

I know they make them for jeeps and off road stuff, but I don't know about Astros...mine is a commercially used cargo van.

Blue Bowtie
05-31-2010, 09:51 AM
That bites. If you decide to install some sort of plate or guard, make sure it is perforated or ventilated somehow. The converter gets extremely hot and needs free air flow in the surrounding area to prevent fires.

dewaynep
06-15-2010, 08:59 AM
You could get a "catclamp" catalytic converter lock.

MagicRat
06-15-2010, 09:39 AM
You could get a "catclamp" catalytic converter lock.

:rolleyes: Never heard of this product until now. One would have thought that a part that's welded to your car would be safe.

Its probably a good idea though.... if the theif had any sense, they would keep track fo the cats they've boosted recently... they might return to try and steal the nice new one you will be forced to get.

http://www.catclamp.com/how.php

Add your comment to this topic!