hum in front end

caminofan
05-30-2010, 12:42 PM
Hello everyone.I have a 2004 Trailblazer EXT.There is a hum coming from the front driverside wheel;just like a mudder tire on pavement.Sound is more pronounced at lower speeds such as 30-40 mph,although it still hums ot highway speeds.Just rotated tires and checked ball joints and tie rods,everything checks out.I'm thinking wheel bearing.still makes noise coasting in neutral as well.Anyone hhave any input?Thank you.

maxwedge
05-30-2010, 07:31 PM
Wheel bearing, had the same issue with mine, see if any play in the hub but this is most likely the problem.

Jethro
06-01-2010, 06:08 PM
im surprised that when the ball joints were checked the sloppy bearings didnt put out a red flag!

caminofan
06-02-2010, 12:36 PM
There is no slop in front end ,yet.Just the noisy hum.I want to fix it before i get slop and destroy anything in front end.I want to be sure that it is the bearing before i go and replace it.Don't want to fix something that isn't broke.

maxwedge
06-02-2010, 01:07 PM
Get all 4 wheels off the ground put in 4wd and run about 30 mph, listen at each wheel you will be able to tell which one, just be careful doing all this.

Jethro
06-03-2010, 12:34 PM
what brand tires? Goodrich allterain can be noisy.

MT-2500
06-04-2010, 09:43 AM
Get all 4 wheels off the ground put in 4wd and run about 30 mph, listen at each wheel you will be able to tell which one, just be careful doing all this.

As maxwedge said get it up and have a look and feel and listen.

Also a quick check is to drive down a straight road about 35-45 MPS and with nobody behind or looking you way turn the steering wheel a little left or right and if noise changes it is almost always wheel bearing.

caminofan
07-23-2010, 03:21 PM
Ended up replacing both driver and passenger side bearings.That did the trick.I was shocked at how reletively easy and painless the procedure was.Now I can drive down the road without sounding like I'm running 33in mudders.Thank you to everyone for their input!

Add your comment to this topic!