Our Community is 705,000 Strong. Join Us.

getting gas in my oil?

boomer92266
05-27-2010, 03:49 PM
i have a 1984 2.8liter v6, it is getting gas in the oil. i put a new carburetor on it, a friend gave me a fuel pump that was less than a month old and i put that on there. its still getting gas in my oil, what could cause this? one friend said since i ordered the carburetor that shipping may have messed it up but i can't really beleive that since it was packed good. thanks for any help.

MT-2500
05-28-2010, 07:57 AM
i have a 1984 2.8liter v6, it is getting gas in the oil. i put a new carburetor on it, a friend gave me a fuel pump that was less than a month old and i put that on there. its still getting gas in my oil, what could cause this? one friend said since i ordered the carburetor that shipping may have messed it up but i can't really beleive that since it was packed good. thanks for any help.

Over rich carb or cylinder misfires or fuel pump diagfram or just plain carb flood over.
Is choke running rich or backing off good?

boomer92266
05-28-2010, 11:22 AM
i don't know, i got the carb and installed it. after shifting to high if i give it alot of gas it cuts out a little. the choke isn't hooked up.

MT-2500
05-28-2010, 11:58 AM
i don't know, i got the carb and installed it. after shifting to high if i give it alot of gas it cuts out a little. the choke isn't hooked up.

Check engine running for missing.
Is choke open or closed?
Any black smoke out tail pipe?

boomer92266
05-28-2010, 03:44 PM
engine misses a little in cold weather till it warms up then its fine, warm weather its not as bad. i did have to replace the distributor shaft and that could be causeing the slight misssing. but as soon as it warms up it don't miss on idle, just cuts out while idleing if i give it gas fast. going down the road if i give it alot of gas at once it does it. if i ease the pedal down it takes it fine. just not when i give it all at once. choke is open and no smoke out pipe. thanks

MT-2500
05-28-2010, 04:33 PM
engine misses a little in cold weather till it warms up then its fine, warm weather its not as bad. i did have to replace the distributor shaft and that could be causeing the slight misssing. but as soon as it warms up it don't miss on idle, just cuts out while idleing if i give it gas fast. going down the road if i give it alot of gas at once it does it. if i ease the pedal down it takes it fine. just not when i give it all at once. choke is open and no smoke out pipe. thanks

Get it running right on idle or down the road.
Also you might want to check cat backpressure and timing and engine ign coil spark.
Are plugs black or white on ends or any wet ones?

boomer92266
05-28-2010, 05:13 PM
i did replace something else too, it sits behind the carb and had a vacuume hooked to it, i think its called the egr valve. the part was high so i just bought a plate to bolt over where it was. i was told that i could do that, also since its an older truck there are several vacume lines to the carb plugged off, not all just a couple. thanks

MT-2500
05-28-2010, 05:20 PM
i did replace something else too, it sits behind the carb and had a vacuume hooked to it, i think its called the egr valve. the part was high so i just bought a plate to bolt over where it was. i was told that i could do that, also since its an older truck there are several vacume lines to the carb plugged off, not all just a couple. thanks

It is not a wise move to remove stuff like that.

boomer92266
05-29-2010, 11:47 AM
i forgot to ask, whats a over rich carb? mine don't have any adjustments except the idle screw. thanks

MT-2500
05-29-2010, 12:02 PM
i forgot to ask, whats a over rich carb? mine don't have any adjustments except the idle screw. thanks

Burning to much fuel.
Rich gas mixture.
Did you look at your plugs and see if they were black or white or wet on ends As asked in other prior post?
Also removing EGR valve will cause it to run richer and also pre ignition.
Did it have a computer controled carb OEM?
Any codes or check engine lights on?

boomer92266
05-29-2010, 07:50 PM
the plugs aren't wet but not white either. it had a electrical carb on it when i got the motor. but since the truck doesn't have the hookups i got a regular carb. the motor is out of a 1984 camaro, 2.8 liter v6 the same that was in the truck before it threw a rod. should i replace the egr valve? my brother inlaw replaced his 2.8 egr with a plate and it did fine, but his is a 1988 model. thanks

MT-2500
05-30-2010, 09:07 AM
the plugs aren't wet but not white either. it had a electrical carb on it when i got the motor. but since the truck doesn't have the hookups i got a regular carb. the motor is out of a 1984 camaro, 2.8 liter v6 the same that was in the truck before it threw a rod. should i replace the egr valve? my brother inlaw replaced his 2.8 egr with a plate and it did fine, but his is a 1988 model. thanks

Hard to say with all of them change overs.
How much gas is the oil getting into it/
Double check fuel pump diaphragm and engine running.
And make sure carb is not flooding or running rich.

boomer92266
05-30-2010, 10:53 AM
how do i check the carb about running rich? also in about 100 miles of driving it gets about a pint of gas in oil. when i check the dip stick in that time its about a pint over full. thanks

MT-2500
05-31-2010, 09:29 AM
how do i check the carb about running rich? also in about 100 miles of driving it gets about a pint of gas in oil. when i check the dip stick in that time its about a pint over full. thanks

Arer you sure it is gas in oil?

To check for running rich watch for black smoke out tail pipe and black on ends of plugs.

Watch inside of carb for raw gas engine off and engine running.
A lot of times a rich engine will slobber or run rough.
Is all cylinders firing good?
Any engine miss?

j cAT
05-31-2010, 09:51 PM

with this type of fuel pump the fuel gets into the crankcase from the fuel pump being defective...diaphram ruptures....this would explain the large amont of gas in the fuel...with this amount getting into the oil this engine is not going to live much longer....

with the egr REMOVED the timing/fuel mixture will need to be adjusted to cool down the combustion chambers alot...this will cause a very low MPG than what would be normally expected..

the other problem that I have seen is the cannister vent control valve..this will suck gas from the fuel tank and send it into the intake manifold...so check out those vapor fuel lines ..IF YOU STILL HAVE THAT HOOKED UP....

boomer92266
06-01-2010, 01:49 AM
i don't know what the cannister vent control valve is. but i just got thru running it on idle in the dark to see if the miss was a firing problem. well fire is jumping from the wires and at the plugs where the wire attaches. now i have got brand new wires, plugs, cap, button, control module, coil, and the coil that goes in the distibutor. so i'm at a loss to why i'm having so much bad luck with this motor. i did notice 4 wires that come from the distibutor are cut and taped, only 2 are hooked up the ones going to the coil. a friend put the motor in for me, i called him he said that the wires had a snap in hookup but when he hooked them up the truck would cut out bad and the manifold would glow red. so he cut them so i wouldn't make the same mistake. so i guess i'll have to scrap it, have put over $500 in this and still don't run right. oh well thanks for all the help, ya'll have been great. thanks again

j cAT
06-01-2010, 09:09 AM
with that distributor work done check the timing..

the cannister vent control valve controls fuel tank vapors..fuel vapors go into a charcoal cannister..this then when the engine runs purges the cannister charcoal of gas vapors that got stored there when the vehicle was not operating..if this is broken not connected correctly vacuum lines damaged this can cause fuel to be sucked out of the fuel tank into the intake manifold..

fuel vapors are not supposed to be vented into the air , but sent into the engine to be consumed..

with that set up , I would not use your friend anymore to work on your vehicles...electrical tape is not good for 25,ooo volts..

boomer92266
06-01-2010, 09:31 PM
no cannister that i can find except in front under the head lights is a black cannister. nothing plugged to it, i was told today to check my electric fuel pump and put those 4 wires some where. i guess i should have told you guys sorry i wasn't thinking but my truck is a 1988 truck that got a 1984 motor put in it. it came out fuel injected but all that wireing has been removed. and the carbureted engine put in. i was told the electric pump could still be hooked up and those wires may keep it from firing enough to burn the fuel. i'll check tomorrow when its light to try and find that canister and i'm gonna run all my fuel lines down. i sure know i have a firing problem with the sparks i'm getting. i guess i'll keep working a little on it cause its got a great body and trans so the truck is worth it. just stuff is so high just wished i could get right before i spend more than i need too. thanks for any help.

Add your comment to this topic!