Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Blazer wandering

friesza
05-25-2010, 04:46 AM
Noticed about 7 or 8 months ago that I have slop in the steering...took it in for an alignment and they say everything is in good shape...oh...2000 blazer with 100,000 miles....now I notice my drivers side hub is going out again....I was thinking maybe this could be part of the problem....kinda scary at times when your on the highway and gusts of wind hit you....I would say around an inch to inch and a half of wheel play....I just cannot believe the box could have slop in it at such a low mileage...yes I know 100,000 isnt low but I have other vehicles with over 200,000 and older with less slop...anyways anyone have a thought?

old_master
05-25-2010, 01:52 PM
With the engine at idle, in park, there should be no more than 1" of play when rotating the steering wheel back and forth, before the wheels start to turn. Steering gear is a good possibility. They can be adjusted but they must be removed from the vehicle to do it properly, (it's not just a matter of loosening the jamb nut and turning the adjuster). The "rag joint" could also be loose, along with steering AND suspension parts, including hub assemblies.

friesza
05-25-2010, 01:56 PM
Forgot about the rag joint...going to do a thorough check this weekend...thanks

Add your comment to this topic!