Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

how to bleed the cooling system

HeWhoKillz
05-24-2010, 02:07 PM
The old Car Of Rust On Last Leg Again, or 91 corolla. How do you bleed the cooling system? Upon further research if you open up the cooling system via changing the radiator(which i just did) or any other way, air gets into the cooling system and must be bled. I don't understand how you do this. Youtube has a million videos, most with the radiator cap open and then starting the engine and filling it. I tried this but felt stupid knowing antifreeze(or in this case, just regular water just to see if this is the problem) cause of course starting the engine with the cap out causes water to purge out like a fountain. I kept filling and filling but it keep bubbling and going back down. Is this something that takes some time?

Gtivr698
05-24-2010, 02:21 PM
Ok first, on the side of your radiator there is a twisty thing aka the Peacock, open that up which will drain your anti freeze, then twist it back on, then put anti freeze in the reservoir, do not pour directly into your radiator, then let your car run until all the antifreeze is gone in the reservoir, then do it again, say about 2 or 3 times, then open your peacock drain it out again and repeat, and thats how you bleed that system

HeWhoKillz
05-24-2010, 04:51 PM
Ok first, on the side of your radiator there is a twisty thing aka the Peacock, open that up which will drain your anti freeze, then twist it back on, then put anti freeze in the reservoir, do not pour directly into your radiator, then let your car run until all the antifreeze is gone in the reservoir, then do it again, say about 2 or 3 times, then open your peacock drain it out again and repeat, and thats how you bleed that system

I'm assuming you drain ALL of the antifreeze out? Or in my case its water so that I can determine if the cooling system isn't the problem and thats its the head gasket or head or block.Whats the difference between your way and just continuously pouring antifreeze into the reservoir as the level goes down?

To determine if its a head gasket, would it be a good idea to let the engine run? Even with the air in the cooling system to see if the engine starts to over heats?

Add your comment to this topic!