Single Turbo instead of TT???

WhiteBlur
05-03-2003, 08:11 PM
ok could someone please tell me why taking out TT's in a car and putting in a single turbo is sometimes better???:confused:

Venger10
05-03-2003, 08:38 PM
Single large turbo's make big power on the top end...
TT setups are generally good in the midrange...

Using the MK4 Supra as an example , the T-88 single turbo swap makes about 800-900 HP , but all that power is only available right around redline.... Makes for a good drag car or a dyno monster , but practically unstreetable.
Guys who use the Supra for auto-X generally keep the stock TT setup , since auto-Xing is done more in the midrange on RPMs..

WhiteBlur
05-03-2003, 10:58 PM
dam 800-900 HP???!!!!!!:eek: is that what they might do in Japan for cars that might race on the Wangan?

BeEfCaKe
05-04-2003, 11:27 AM
Using twin turbo would give you more range, assuming it is sequential setup. One of those turbos would be smaller and the other larger, so the smaller one would wind up faster in the low rpm range and the larger would give you more in the higher. Single turbo, I would think, would give you turbo lag, but then as you get to higher rpm, you get much more boost, and therefore, power.

Venger10
05-04-2003, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by WhiteBlur
dam 800-900 HP???!!!!!!:eek: is that what they might do in Japan for cars that might race on the Wangan?

Maybe....but ya better live close to the entrance ramp Power like that comes in a BIG rush , like in the last 1000 or so RPM before redline.... Before that , the engine makes like 200 Hp , maybe.... Makes the car barely streetable , basically a handful to drive if you are not on the open road......
I kinda prefer the stock TT setup , Its still good to about 650 Hp:frog:

SaabJohan
05-06-2003, 10:36 AM
800-900 hp with a supra engine isn't that much, the engine have a quite large displacement. With a such setup you will probably have 900 Nm from 3000 rpm or so. The highest I have heard is 1800 hp from a supra engine... but this is still low compared with the BMW 4 cyl F1 engine used under the eighties (based on a stock block) which developed up to 1500 hp or 1 hp/cm^3 (16,4 hp/cui).

WhiteBlur
05-06-2003, 06:14 PM
haha but is that 1800 hp supra street legal:rolleyes: :D see i'm talkin about street legal cars

Venger10
05-06-2003, 06:47 PM
haha but is that 1800 hp supra street legal:rolleyes: :D see i'm talkin about street legal cars

800 - 900 Hp is still street legal , just depends on where ya live...:cool:

1800 Hp is a fully tricked out RACE engine with massive internal upgrades...:bandit: :bandit:

SaabJohan
05-08-2003, 09:03 AM

800-900 hp is probably not streetlegal in so many western countries, the most common reason is that it doesn't have the power/torque specified by manufacturer and that it doesn't match the specifications of the manufacturers certified engine (has to do with emissions).

Within EU the car (newer cars) will not be street legal if you for an example use non stock parts; this means if you change an airfilter, turbocharger, ECU software or whatever the car isn't legal. Then in reality they aren't that strict that the check it.

You also didn't mention streetlegal anywhere!

The most extreme engines have usuable rpms of around 1/3 (the upper 1/3) of their rpm range. But usually you can made great power with 1/2 of the range availible. Most stock cars have around 2/3 usuable.

BeEfCaKe
05-08-2003, 05:26 PM
Well with those ~1800hp cars, can't you just turn down boost if you really wanted to drive it on the street? Obviously, when you have that much power, you're probably doing drag racing and there will be other limitations that won't allow you to do that(i.e., drag-spec roll cages), and you'll probably have nothing left in the interior except for many a speedo.

454Casull
09-17-2003, 05:08 PM
Well with those ~1800hp cars, can't you just turn down boost if you really wanted to drive it on the street? Obviously, when you have that much power, you're probably doing drag racing and there will be other limitations that won't allow you to do that(i.e., drag-spec roll cages), and you'll probably have nothing left in the interior except for many a speedo.
The Supra doesn't use any variable valve actuation, and even if it did, it would probably be removed in favor of high-end power. So your torque curve would probably look like a mountain, due to the cam profiles.

Add your comment to this topic!