Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Control Arm

doctorhrdware
05-19-2010, 04:23 AM
My 97 GP SE has around 156,000. Originally I was going to replace the parts on the control arm. The ball joint and the 2 control arm bushings. The approximate cost was $66.50 with tax. But that does not include the cost to have the bushings installed. When the drive shaft on my Wife's Chevy truck needed u-joints installed. I was charged $20 for the front u-joint and $20 for the rear, so that would be an extra $40 added on to the price for the control arm repair price. So the total cost for the parts and with installation charge would be $106.50, plus the time wasted taking the control arms to a place to take out the old bushing and install the new bushings. The other problem with the place that is installing the bushings could damage the bushings. Which are the only parts that I can't install with out doing any damage to them.

With searching the internet, I have found Dorman control arm for around $99.60, including tax includes, and the ball joint and bushings. So I am really leaning towards the Dorman control arms. I think that would be the best bet and the fastest way to get the work done. I am going to also replace both sides. I am going to replace the driver's side first. That is the worst side, it is constantlyis making loud popping noises, and metal on metal scrapping noise. But I will be doing one side at a time. It will much easier on my back and less pain. I am hoping that I have a much easier time, then I did with the rear brakes and the rear suspension:crying:.

JonJon68
05-19-2010, 08:13 AM
I did the same for my driver side CA. Just replaced the entire part, bushings included.

richtazz
05-19-2010, 09:53 AM
I agree with JonJon68, go with the Dorman part, they are nice quality and much easier to just replace the whole thing then to deal with repairing your OEM control arm.

doctorhrdware
05-19-2010, 07:59 PM
So that is what I will do. Since it will be much easier to just replace the complete control arm. They are in stock so I am going to replace both sides.

tblake
05-19-2010, 09:00 PM
Don't forget an alignment when you are done! After I replaced mine, my car was so out of alignment that the steering wheel would not align itself back to center after I accellerated through a turn.

doctorhrdware
05-19-2010, 09:12 PM
I was going to get that done after I get new tires on the rear and get the 4 wheel alignment.

thecrow1986
05-27-2010, 09:53 AM
i put those dorman arms in my car and they work great.

doctorhrdware
05-27-2010, 02:48 PM
Thanks for the heads up on the Dorman control arms. I used Dorman caliper brackets on the wife's explorer. The quality of the Dorman was so much better then A1Cardone. I will never use A1Cardone again.

Add your comment to this topic!