Our Community is 705,000 Strong. Join Us.

1999 Dodge ram AC blower wont work at all.

basscat348
05-18-2010, 07:58 PM
The ac turns on and off with the controls but there is no blower function at all.I have ran power directly to the blower motor and it runs good.I checked the blower solenoid and its good also.I even shorted the connector plug to the blower solenoid trying just to make sure its not the blower solenoid.I have even replaced the entire ac/heater control panel thinking that may be it and still nothing from the blower at all.I could really use some guidance and direction with this as I dont have alot of money to try and make this thing work.

Thanks for any help in advance.

brcidd
05-18-2010, 08:19 PM
Dodge Trucks are known for accessory ignition wire overload-- seems they don't use a high speed relay for the blower motor and actually run all those 25+ amps through the ignition switch contacts- since you've changed everything else- I highly suspect the ignition switch accessory contacts--always good to test before changing parts.....

basscat348
05-18-2010, 09:17 PM
Thanks for the quick reply.I will go by the dodge dealership tomorrow and see how much that part costs and how to replace it.I have no idea how one would even replace that,let alone where its at.

jpb53
05-19-2010, 10:13 AM
99 uses a blower relay here is awiring diagram.

basscat348
05-20-2010, 09:36 PM
Thanks for the reply's.I went to the dodge dealer yesterday and they told me that in 1999 the blower was not run through the ignition.So my question is now..... is it or isn't it ? I looked at the schematic posted here and I am still at a dead end.Dealer says $120 to diagnose the problem then they will give me an estimate on the cost to fix if they can find the problem.If they cant find the problem the guy says the dont even want to mess around with it if its and wire problem or something similar.I say it must be nice to get a bailout from the government then they dont even need to work on vehicles.Maybe I should buy a foreign next time at least there not getting a handout because they dont know how to run a business.Rant over.Ac still not working.LOL:loser:

hundahunta
05-21-2010, 02:31 AM
turn the blower on with a test light connect one end to ground and the other end to the dark green wire at the blower should light up. now with one end to battery power check the other blower motor connector should light up...let us know which way the light does not turn on pretty easy power and ground.....

basscat348
05-21-2010, 02:38 PM
Tryed the test and the blower will not run with a test light,it will only run with a regular grounded wire and another wire direct from the battery.

jpb53
05-21-2010, 02:48 PM
Read what hundahunta told you to do again. He did not say the motor would work. What did the test light do when you hooked it up as he told you to? This is just a test for power and ground at the motor connector. Did the light come on and when?

basscat348
05-21-2010, 05:09 PM
The light never came on with the test light at all ,so i figured the test didnt work or I was doing it wrong and went to just a plain ground.After rereading the instructions I did the test correct.But I am going to retry it again just to be sure.

hundahunta
05-22-2010, 01:09 AM
what we are trying to isolate is wheter you have a problem with the ground or power source....it's very odd that you have both a loss of ground and power, unless you have intermediate connector or harness issue...

basscat348
05-22-2010, 11:10 AM
open up the power supply box under the hood and traced the green wire with a toner and the wire is good but no power.I then tryed jumping power from another spot to the green wire and it worked perfect except the motor wont turn off with the key , I have to do it manually but thats ok at least it works now.I know its not totally the way its supposed to be but thanks to everyone for the input and help, I couldnt have done it without your help.

basscat348
05-26-2010, 07:18 AM
We'll the ac works now but after I shut the truck off I guess the way I have it wired now its draining the battery.I got the power from a 10amp fuse marked Misc under the hood from the fuse panel.At this point I think I am just going to sell the truck.Anyone want a 1999 dodge ram 1500 extra cab for $2200 ?Engine runs great and transmission is excellant,seats are really good and the ac is cold but isnt working correctly.

jpb53
05-26-2010, 05:12 PM
In the diagram I included in post 4 you see the blower relay. Remove that and turn it upside down. You will see #'s at each corner pin. At each female connector check for a ground at pin #85. #86 should have power when the ignition key in the run position. No pwer there check the #2 fuse 10 amp in the junction block. That is the fuse box at the drivers side of the dash. Pin # 30 is hot at all times and is fed by fuse #12 40amp in the PDC that is the fuse and relay box under hood. All you did is bypass the relay to get it to work

Add your comment to this topic!