Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Upgrading Sound System on 04 Corolla LE

cfs525
05-18-2010, 11:34 AM
Ok so I am not what you'd call a car expert, and I'm thinking about making my sound system better (it's shit) in my Corolla. Granted I can figure stuff out that's pretty simple, I installed a new battery the other day without issue but overall I don't have a whole lot of experience. I don't want to spend a whole lot of money, I'm thinking if I just replace the deck and get some decent speakers I'll be good to go. So I just have a couple initial questions before I start buying stuff. Firstly, if I have the 6-speaker setup (which I'm not sure yet but I'll find out) do I need to replace all 6 speakers without the sound being f'd up? Secondly is a new deck and new speakers good enough to significantly improve my setup from what it is now (stock)? And what do I need to do to make sure I get the right size speakers for my housing? Appreciate it

mbrown0106
08-13-2010, 03:25 AM
Hey,

So this is my first post but nonetheless I hope it helps you ( I ain't a mechanic by any means, just a hobbyist/enthusiast ). I own an 05 corolla and have worked on many through that time. From my knowledge and experience just replacing the 'stock' deck already brings greatly improved sound quality, especially on 6 speaker equipped corolla ( 2 tweeters , 2 front , 2 rear speakers ). If you do want to change speakers out, you might want to think about the installation process first which include drilling out the rear speakers from the rear tray. Also when upgrading those speakers, they tend to cause a lot of vibrations and in turn makes the c-pillar plastic coverings vibrate and ruin your new found audio glory.

Anyways, to answer your questions directly...

1. Honestly I don't think so, the quality of sound you get is quite good with the 6 speaker set up, but that is just my opinion. Oh, yea except... The stock rear speaker will probably blow quite quickly if they haven't already, which is the weakest part besides the stock deck...

2. Yes, but again its what my ears say, and the type and sound level I listen at.

Stock Rear Speakers: 6x9" (17.5W, 6ohm)
Stock Front Speakers: 6.5" (17.5W, 4ohm)
Stock Front Tweeters (S/XRS): 1-3/8" (2W, 4ohm)
Specs from 9thgencorolla.com

~ Hope this helps at all ~ Michael Brown

Add your comment to this topic!