Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2000 blazer ls 4x4

blazerls2000
05-17-2010, 01:42 AM
i just recently bought a blazer and i have been having a problem with the 4 wheel drive in it. when its in 2 wheel and im driving down the road the front axle makes a humming sound like the gears are trying to lock into place. and when i shift it into 4hi and try to reverse, it locks and my car wont go anywhere. i looked underneath of it and it looks like fluid has leaked out of it. so i put more in it and it stopped making the noise for about 2 miles and now its doing it again. i cant find the leak or fix the problem. i just need to know where to start.

MT-2500
05-17-2010, 09:14 AM
i just recently bought a blazer and i have been having a problem with the 4 wheel drive in it. when its in 2 wheel and im driving down the road the front axle makes a humming sound like the gears are trying to lock into place. and when i shift it into 4hi and try to reverse, it locks and my car wont go anywhere. i looked underneath of it and it looks like fluid has leaked out of it. so i put more in it and it stopped making the noise for about 2 miles and now its doing it again. i cant find the leak or fix the problem. i just need to know where to start.

What transfer case?
233-236 auto matic transfer case?
How many buttons on transfer case switch or does it have a auto 4W button?

Where is fluid leaking?
We can not see for you.
You will need to.
Wash it or clean it off and look for the leak.
Post back where the leak is and what part is leaking.
Front axle or transfer case or transmission?
Is the noise a steady noise or like gears clashing?

On the lockup in 4W high pull front drive shaft and see what it does.
If it still does it with front drive shaft out better have a look in transfer case.
And try to find if noise is in transfer case or some other place.
Where there is noise there is a problem.

blazerls2000
05-17-2010, 10:54 AM
it has 3 buttons on the dash 2hi 4hi and 4 lo im trying to clean it up now and see where the leak is. the noise is coming from the front passenger side when i put it in 4hi and move the noise stops but im going to try to find the leak and ill keep u posted and yes it is a steady noise u cant hear it at highway speeds but when u slow down you can hear it clearly.

Add your comment to this topic!