Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2002 Pontiac Montana AC does not blow real cold

Uncle57
05-16-2010, 07:09 AM
Hi there:

The AC in my 2002 Montana does not blow overly cold.

Speed 5 on the blower was not working so I replaced the blower resistor that issue is now resolved. :biggrin:

AC still not blow overly cold. :crying: When I hit the A/C switch the Compressor does not kick in. Nor does it load the engine. :confused: If the pressure in the system were low would it keep the compressor from coming on. Or am I wasting my time to try and charge it.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Gord

rkvons
05-17-2010, 12:07 PM
Hi there:

If the pressure in the system were low would it keep the compressor from coming on. Or am I wasting my time to try and charge it.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Gord

When the system pressure is low, the compressor will not come on. A recharge may get you by for the summer, but there seems to be a leak. Just adding freon to the system is not as good as first pulling a vacuum and then adding the proper amount, but it's worth a try. You should also keep in mind that the system is lubricated with oil that is in with the freon. A leak of this oil can cause the compressor to run without being properly lubricated. Is the bottom of the compressor oily? Running a compressor without being properly lubricated will surely ruin it.

brcidd
05-17-2010, 01:02 PM
"01 and "02 U-vans are notorious for condenser leaks- has your condenser ever been replaced- if not, that is the first place I'd look--see photo

http://idle-hourranch.com/Condenser-Leak-U-van-01-02.JPG

Uncle57
05-17-2010, 02:01 PM
When the system pressure is low, the compressor will not come on. A recharge may get you by for the summer, but there seems to be a leak. Just adding freon to the system is not as good as first pulling a vacuum and then adding the proper amount, but it's worth a try. You should also keep in mind that the system is lubricated with oil that is in with the freon. A leak of this oil can cause the compressor to run without being properly lubricated. Is the bottom of the compressor oily? Running a compressor without being properly lubricated will surely ruin it.

I will take a mirror and check the underside of the compressor.. As far as I can tell it is dry as a bone.... As for oil the recharge kit Canadian Tire sells includes a bottle of oil. But by the next post I should check the condensor
before recharging. Will take a look at that tonight.

Thanks

Gord

Uncle57
05-17-2010, 02:03 PM
"01 and "02 U-vans are notorious for condenser leaks- has your condenser ever been replaced- if not, that is the first place I'd look--see photo

Will check the condensor tonight....

Thanks

Uncle57
05-18-2010, 06:05 AM

The entire base of the condensor looks like that.... So I guess that indicates where my leak is..... The local wrecker only has 1 Montana (to late of a model for his liking) the condensor looks worse than mine. RockAuto shows 2 flavors the AC Delco which looks like mine and the after market ones. Is there a big difference as the Delco is almost $350.00 all the others are aprox $100.00. Will an after market one work equaly well?

Gord

brcidd
05-18-2010, 08:17 AM
I've replaced probably 30 or so over the last 6 yrs...I used to use the A/C Delcos- got tired of that high price-- went to Keystones for awhile- then to the internet- bought a couple from radiator suppliers-I have paid as little as $128 for them. I have never had an aftermarket I installed leak-- although I have seen replacement condensers be leaking twice-- just not ones I had originally replaced. Never was able to find out the brand name on those. Last condenser I did, I bought through NAPA-- at about $170. In the summer, I usually keep a replacement in stock, for quicker turn-arounds.

Add your comment to this topic!