Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

reverse lights wont work...i need help

TDWPgtp
05-14-2010, 05:07 PM
YES, i replaced the bulbs with brand new ones, but they dont work! im assuming im having an electrical problem somewhere. i dont see a fuse for reverse lights... so im stuck. please any ideas would be great. k thankssssss

BNaylor
05-14-2010, 08:37 PM
What year is your GP? Reverse lights are actually called backup lamps. You should have a backup lamps fuse which may be shared with the trunk release. The backup lights are controlled by the Transmission Range Switch located on the transaxle.

TDWPgtp
05-14-2010, 09:03 PM
97. There's no fuse for backup lights either..I did get a new tranny a few months back, and I have no idea if they have worked since then..do u think that may be the problem?

BNaylor
05-15-2010, 07:56 AM
97. There's no fuse for backup lights either

Thats strange. :confused:

I have a '97 GTP and I have one. It is located in the engine compartment fuse box marked B/U LP. Shared with the power trunk release. Is your trunk release working? So when the transaxle was replaced you never noticed the back up lights were working or not working?

If you do not have one '97 was the year GM re-did the wiring and component layout so the '97 is unique compared to other GP years.

TDWPgtp
05-15-2010, 09:23 AM
O I didn't look in the underhood. Fuse box because the rest of the lighting fuses were in the other one...but my trunk release does work so I assume it's not that fuse anyway. And i haven't had to reverse at night since I got the tranny until a few days ago. That's when I noticed

BNaylor
05-15-2010, 09:45 AM
If the trunk release is working then the B/U LP fuse is good so the possibilities are the range switch not getting the 12 volts from the fuse block or not outputting the 12 volts to the back up lights when in reverse. Check the electrical connectors and wiring at the range switch which is located on top back part of transaxle way underneath the area of the brake master cylinder and booster. Possible the range switch on the used/reman/new transaxle was bad in the first place but try the easy things first. Good luck!

BTW - What year or model GM car was the used/new/reman 4T65E-HD transaxle from or was your original range switch used?

TDWPgtp
05-15-2010, 10:01 AM
I'm not sure...it's brand new though. I'll call the shop that put it in to find out, and while I'm at it I'll see if they will look at it for free cuz I don't feedl like gettin under the car :grinno:

BNaylor
05-15-2010, 10:14 AM
:eek2:

You bought a brand new transaxle? How much did that set you back including labor?

This should be covered under their warranty so let them resolve the issue.

TDWPgtp
05-15-2010, 10:30 AM
Ya I asked 3 or 4 places and they all said rebuilt a new are pretty close in price and they all quoted around 1800 but the shop I took it to did it for 1400.. And ya I figured it would be. Unless the problem is unrelated to the transaxle... I'll keep u posted

tblake
05-15-2010, 11:52 AM
The rtrans range (PRNDL) switch could just be out of adjustment. Can you start your car in neutral?

BNaylor
05-16-2010, 09:43 AM
If it was really out of adjustment he wouldn't be getting the reverse indicator at the IP or reverse physically. Regardless even if the transmission range switch was out of adjustment you would get the back up lamps when shifting from park to reverse or neutral to reverse, etc. at one time or another even if they just flash on for a split second as you move the shifter.

grandprixgtx00
05-16-2010, 11:36 AM
but the shop I took it to did it for 1400..

holy sh!t, is that including labor? If so, you sir...got yourself a steal.

Add your comment to this topic!