Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1990 s10 2.5l has no power and starts hard

jfive888
05-13-2010, 03:06 PM
I bought this truck a few months ago and it would cut out when putting in to drive or reverese then it died all together, I have since replaced the fuel sending unit along with pump and the pressure regulator and the wires to the injector and the plugs and wires and the battery and cables and grounds and ground strap now it starts but only after giving it gas and cranking it a few times but it still cuts out when shifting and shifts hard if I keep my foot on the gas I can shift it but then when driving it has almost no power it drives but very slow at high rpms any suggestions, oh I also replaced the inline filter and ignion module

MT-2500
05-15-2010, 07:57 AM
I bought this truck a few months ago and it would cut out when putting in to drive or reverese then it died all together, I have since replaced the fuel sending unit along with pump and the pressure regulator and the wires to the injector and the plugs and wires and the battery and cables and grounds and ground strap now it starts but only after giving it gas and cranking it a few times but it still cuts out when shifting and shifts hard if I keep my foot on the gas I can shift it but then when driving it has almost no power it drives but very slow at high rpms any suggestions, oh I also replaced the inline filter and ignion module

Got good compression and secondary ign?
Got good proper fuel pressure?
Any check engine lights or codes?
What is vacuum reading at idle and at 2K rpm?

jfive888
05-17-2010, 11:27 AM
my friend did a compression test on three of the 4 spark plugs terminals and said they seemed ok I do need to test fuel pressure, it is blinking code 42 wich I found meens bypass or inginion spark timing but he did align piston number one at top dead center and checked the distrubitor and said other than a wiring being crossed it looked good, the only good good thing about this truck so far is it has made me learn alot about engines and how they actaully work. wish it would let me fix it already so i can go on to other repairs I really want to change the timing chain just for the experince, thanks for your replies to my post

MT-2500
05-17-2010, 11:56 AM
my friend did a compression test on three of the 4 spark plugs terminals and said they seemed ok I do need to test fuel pressure, it is blinking code 42 wich I found meens bypass or inginion spark timing but he did align piston number one at top dead center and checked the distrubitor and said other than a wiring being crossed it looked good, the only good good thing about this truck so far is it has made me learn alot about engines and how they actaully work. wish it would let me fix it already so i can go on to other repairs I really want to change the timing chain just for the experince, thanks for your replies to my post

Proper testing before throwing parts at it.

Compression test is done by removing spark plugs and taking compression reading with a compression gauge.
All 4 cylinders need checked and be within 10-15 of each other.

Always check for proper good hot blue spark to all plugs and make sure plugs are good.
And check that fuel pressure for up to specs.

For code 42 go threw the code 42 repair flow chart in a factory manual or a all data online DIY sub.
Which will lead you threw many problems and repairs.

http://www.alldata.com/products/diy/index.html

jfive888
05-17-2010, 02:20 PM
yes I am going to get a manual from the advanded auto today to get a better understanding of whats going on, he said the plug pressure looked good on the first three number four was a pian to get out quick and he was on his lunch break, some of the videos I've been watching make me think my ignition timimg may be retarded but I'm not sure, thanks for responding and any other suggestions you may have, its not fixed yet but atleast now I know what else to test.

MT-2500
05-17-2010, 03:26 PM
yes I am going to get a manual from the advanded auto today to get a better understanding of whats going on, he said the plug pressure looked good on the first three number four was a pian to get out quick and he was on his lunch break, some of the videos I've been watching make me think my ignition timimg may be retarded but I'm not sure, thanks for responding and any other suggestions you may have, its not fixed yet but atleast now I know what else to test.

The chiltons and haynes and advanced auto manuals do not do very good.
Get a factory manual or the all data DIY sub.
On the compression test you need reading on all 4 cylinders.

Add your comment to this topic!