Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

New from TX

Luis 78 El Camino
05-12-2010, 11:38 AM
First a bit about me:
I live in central TX and I am glad to be here. I have had 4 cyl cars for the most part of my life. My only experience with V8’s was my father’s brand new 78 Nova…I thought his car was the best car ever.
My weak side is air cooled VWs for what i have had a few of them for the last 20 years. I have a soft spot for Chevy's due to my pleasant experience with my father's Nova. Fast forward 25 years later when few months back, my wife asked me if she could have a classic something, preferably a 68. (Her father was a mechanic and she remembers him having all kind of old cars at his shop when she was a kid). I said, sure, pick something and we go from there…well a few days ago she found her car just a few minutes from the house. She told me: “Get on! We are going to get my car!” Stop what I was doing and off we went. Low and behold, a 1978 El Camino. Body is solid with a 305. It started and ran but the engine sounded a bit tired. Have not had the chance to give her a tune-up but I do know it takes a bit to start and white smoke appears when she do start. Ride smooth as she can with normal rattles and such. The goal is to bring her car to stock specs. The 305 will be perfect for my wife's driving. I can do almost anything but machining, body work and anything requiring heavy lift as my tools are limited to what a mechanically inclined person will have.
Here a initial questions:
What is a good source for interiors like dash and carpet?
Yesterday I started the initial cleaning by pressure washing the engine and body. After cleaning the engine I vacuum all the debris accumulated over the years not being washed and the passenger side floor was wet! Where this leak might come from?, window seal?
The VIN reads 1w80u8r468634, how can I decipher this VIN? It also read “This vehicle is Super lift Equipped” I found the air valve, at the fuel filler compartment.

Well, that is it for now. Sorry for the long introduction.
Here are a few pics a few minutes after arriving to her new home.

MrPbody
05-12-2010, 12:52 PM
Welcome to the forum! I too have a "soft spot" for the later G-body Elkys... That one's a "keeper"!

Jim

Add your comment to this topic!