Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Smog pump supper heats engine.

chadteetzen
05-11-2010, 11:43 PM
got a new van. The van is a 1991 Club Wagon Ford. 5.8L V8.
it ran but was smelly and loud in cab when i got it. Took off dog house noticed a hose wasn't connected. Noticed that the hose had some burnt away area's of it and the smog pump type thing was melted. So i bought a new smog thing. Got new hoses. Hooked them all up so the system was air tight. Took it out for a spin. Working great for first 5 minutes. Then went up a hill. Heard almost a water boiling type sound. then you could feel heat just rush out from under the dog house and the van lost a little power. Unhooked the hose that goes to all that stuff and it's running ok now. just hard to breath in the cab and still doesn't have as much power. God any idea's on this? It's dark outside but i'm guessing my new smog pump is melted again. And i'm guessing this is why the original one got melted and why all the hoses running to it where burnt. here is a link to this smog thing i'm talking about.
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=943273
Thanks!

rhandwor
03-01-2011, 03:55 PM
If you have it removed use a vacuum pump and flashlight make sure the piston in side is moving before purchasing a new unit.

Add your comment to this topic!