Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Hard start

Seattle1
05-11-2010, 01:01 AM
Hi. I have a 2002 Honda Civic Sedan that has been problem-free for the past 8 years. In the past week, I have been experiencing "hard starts," meaning that the engine turns over (I believe this is the right phrase) but does not fire right away when I turn the key. It is not as bad when the car has cooled down completely (like overnight, or when I am working during the day), or when I only let it sit for 5-10 minutes. The lag is longest (2-3 seconds) when I let the car sit for 10 minutes to 2 hours. The day before this problem started, I filled the car up at Shell in Seattle (adding a half tank of gas to a half tank that I purchased in Canada), and also had the car washed. I spoke with a local Honda mechanic after 4 days of hard starts, who said that the problem could be the gas, and to drive off the tank and fill with fresh fuel. I had almost finished the tank, and drove the car about 10 miles after the fuel light came on, then filled up at Chevron, but the problem has persisted. I took the car to Honda service today. They changed the oil and filter, and checked the battery and spark plugs (because I had garaged the car for 4 years with gas in the tank, and they were worried that the plugs could have been damaged, though I have been driving the vehicle long distances without any problems for the past 6 months). They could not find anything wrong. The engine light has never come on. Questions:

1. Is it possible that I got water in my fuel/tank? If so, could it have permanently damaged the engine? Is HEET the cure? Should I use it now? Is there any downside?
2. What else could be wrong? I have read on the web about similar problems related to fuel pumps/pressure regulators.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am planning a trip to the mountains and do not want to get stuck somewhere remote!

Thanks,

Anxious in Seattle

Airjer_
05-11-2010, 10:48 AM
You are describing an extended crank. The first thing I would check is fuel pressure. More specifically is it holding pressure. This is very easy to do and I am surprised the dealer did not check it.

GOLtech
06-13-2010, 01:07 PM
yep check the fuel pressure.

Add your comment to this topic!