Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

97 lincoln town car RKE Programming...HELP!!!

Bapster
05-09-2010, 12:48 PM
Hello, I have a 1997 Lincoln Town car signature series, and I am having trouble trying to program the remote. I bought it from the Lincoln dealership as I didn't get one when I bought the car, it is the gray square remote, no memory switch on the back. I can program a guest code using the keypad as I did that accidently not realizing at first I did that, so I know it allows me into programming mode, just the locks don't cycle to confirm that as I've seem elsewhere on the net, some people say they will cycle, others say they won't. The dealership says it is the correct remote for my car as it is the only one that appears on their computer, it replaces the peanut shaped remote. But I have no idea, I even got the remote replaced thinking it was defective, as did the dealership thinking the same thing, but still no go on programming...any ideas? cuz I'm lost as to what to do...thanks for any help in advance, I really appreciate it :)

- Brian

All2kool
05-09-2010, 04:53 PM
Hello, I have a 1997 Lincoln Town car signature series...

Brian - see my response on the other forum. You have the incorrect FOB; for more than one reason most likely.

Does anyone with a 1997 LTC have a SQUARE 4-Button FOB?

Towncar
05-09-2010, 05:09 PM
Does anyone with a 1997 LTC have a SQUARE 4-Button FOB?

I have one I use as a spare on my 1996.. I was told it works with 95/96/97.

All2kool
05-09-2010, 05:14 PM
I have one I use as a spare on my 1996.. I was told it works with 95/96/97.

So you have a peanut shaped one as well?

Just to clear up any confusion, will you confirm that the FCC ID on both of your remotes is the same?

Towncar
05-09-2010, 05:44 PM
Wow.. I never looked at how badly worn my peanuts are.. <hmmm bad reference>

My square MEM2 is dark gray with the following #'s
F8OB-15K601-BA
FCC ID: CWTWB1U311
CAN: 1788 102 437

My peanuts MEM1 and MEM2 are: (I can barely make these out, so I might be mistaken)
CANADA 109 K1421
FCC ID: LHI602

CANADA 109 K1421
FCC ID: LHJ002

All2kool
05-09-2010, 06:14 PM

F8OB-15K601-BA

My peanuts MEM1 and MEM2 are: (I can barely make these out, so I might be mistaken)
CANADA 109 K1421

CANADA 109 K1421

That's just goofy; the FCC ID does not match between peanut and square. I don't get it. Although I think your letters are worn and both peanut FOB's are LHJ002.

My LTC came with but one peanut FOB; I purchased another on EBay that matched my FCC ID as this is the key to success. The part number can vary but the FCC ID cannot. But given Towncar's post, I must be wrong for the 1997 model year yet vendors-o-plenty sell peanut FOB's for the 95-97 model year. I dunno, I give up. Another certainty is that you haven't tried a peanut FOB yet.

Bapster
05-09-2010, 06:14 PM

F8OB-15K601-BA

CANADA 109 K1421

CANADA 109 K1421
So I would need the remote with those fcc id #'s? like f80b-15k601-aa? if that is correct, then I can tell the lincoln dealership that I need a remote with that fcc id number...since they already have $40 of my money for a remote that doesn't work..the fcc id # on the remote I have now is cwtwb1u343... in my searching online, this is an old fcc id number.

All2kool
05-09-2010, 06:18 PM
So I would need the remote with those fcc id #'s? like f80b-15k601-aa? if that is correct, then I can tell the lincoln dealership that I need a remote with that fcc id number...since they already have $40 of my money for a remote that doesn't work..the fcc id # on the remote I have now is cwtwb1u343... in my searching online, this is an old fcc id number.

Actually, I'd ask for FOB's with LHxxxx FCC ID's as Towncar and I both have 2 FOB's that are OEM (and peanut) and LHxxxx. I would expect a square FOB with an LHxxxx FCC ID to work on a 1997 LTC, even if that FOB came from a Grand Marquis, Crown Victoria, etc.

All2kool
05-09-2010, 06:21 PM
Actually, I'd ask for FOB's with LHxxxx FCC ID's as Towncar and I both have 2 FOB's that are OEM (and peanut) and LHxxxx. I would expect a square FOB with an LHxxxx FCC ID to work on a 1997 LTC, even if that FOB came from a Grand Marquis, Crown Victoria, etc.

I'd even bet money that the first FOB you try with an FCC ID of LHJ002 will work; regardless of shape.

Bapster
05-09-2010, 06:24 PM
I'd even bet money that the first FOB you try with an FCC ID of LHJ002 will work; regardless of shape.
ok, so all I need is a remote that had the fcc id# LHJ002?...Somebody in a different forum said something about needing one with the similar fcc id number but I think it ended with a "1"? Is there a way I can get the fcc id# off of the module in the driver's door?...just to be sure.

All2kool
05-09-2010, 06:28 PM
ok, so all I need is a remote that had the fcc id# LHJ002?...Somebody in a different forum said something about needing one with the similar fcc id number but I think it ended with a "1"? Is there a way I can get the fcc id# off of the module in the driver's door?...just to be sure.

To be specific, LHJ001 or LHJ002. The remotes are numbered or may have a switch on the back. The number relates to which Memory Seat recall will be activated upon unlocking the doors.

I do not know of where the FCC ID may be located on the car.

Bapster
05-09-2010, 06:32 PM
To be specific, LHJ001 or LHJ002. The remotes are numbered or may have a switch on the back. The number relates to which Memory Seat recall will be activated upon unlocking the doors.

I do not know of where the FCC ID may be located on the car.

Would this one be the proper upgrade/update remote from the peanut shape that was discontinued? http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/LINCOLN-KEYLESS-REMOTE-F8OB-15K601-BA-CWTWB1U311-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem3cacbf29a4QQitemZ26059 6246948QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccesso ries

All2kool
05-09-2010, 06:36 PM
Would this one be the proper upgrade/update remote from the peanut shape that was discontinued? http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/LINCOLN-KEYLESS-REMOTE-F8OB-15K601-BA-CWTWB1U311-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem3cacbf29a4QQitemZ26059 6246948QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccesso ries

No, the FCC ID is for the model year beginning 1998, I do not believe it would work. I firmly believe you need a FOB with LHJ001/2 (http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=LHJ002&_sacat=0&_odkw=LHJ001&_osacat=0&bkBtn=&_trksid=p3286.m270.l1313).

Bapster
05-09-2010, 06:41 PM
No, the FCC ID is for the model year beginning 1998, I do not believe it would work. I firmly believe you need a FOB with LHJ001/2 (http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=LHJ002&_sacat=0&_odkw=LHJ001&_osacat=0&bkBtn=&_trksid=p3286.m270.l1313).
Found another one that says it can be used on 95-06 models of lincoln's...so it's conflicting which is true or not. http://www.autotransponder.com/ford_mercury_and_lincoln_4_button_remote_gray?cate gory_id=1990

All2kool
05-09-2010, 06:52 PM
Found another one that says it can be used on 95-06 models of lincoln's...so it's conflicting which is true or not. http://www.autotransponder.com/ford_mercury_and_lincoln_4_button_remote_gray?cate gory_id=1990

One thing is sure, Towncar and I have 4 FOB's with LHxxxx FCC ID's that ALL WORK. Second thing that is sure is that you haven't tried a FOB with an LHxxxx FCC ID.

Bapster
05-09-2010, 06:55 PM
One thing is sure, Towncar and I have 4 FOB's with LHxxxx FCC ID's that ALL WORK. Second thing that is sure is that you haven't tried a FOB with an LHxxxx FCC ID.
True....just leary of buying the LHxxxx type online, receiving it and it not working either....would be nice if I could find a shop locally that deals with these systems...then returning etc if needed would be easier. I jst noticed checking out the peanut style remotes on ebay that there are different fcc id #'s on the same peanut style looking remote....so if I go after one of those, I need either the LHJ001 or LHJ002 correct?

All2kool
05-09-2010, 06:58 PM
True....just leary of buying the LHxxxx type online, receiving it and it not working either....would be nice if I could find a shop locally that deals with these systems...then returning etc if needed would be easier.

OK, you may or may not like this idea but if you don't want to fork over more money, and I understand not wanting to, go to the first used car lot with a 95-97 Town Car, Grand Marquis, Crown Victoria and ask for the keys and see if their LHJ001/2 FOB works. Start with Town Cars.

All2kool
05-09-2010, 07:00 PM
Where do you live?

Bapster
05-09-2010, 07:01 PM
OK, you may or may not like this idea but if you don't want to fork over more money, and I understand not wanting to, go to the first used car lot with a 95-97 Town Car, Grand Marquis, Crown Victoria and ask for the keys and see if their LHJ001/2 FOB works. Start with Town Cars.

Actually, I work at a wholesale car lot, and we have had a few 95-97 fords/Mercury's, and if we luck out and they have a remote on the key ring, it's been the square type.....We have a couple of can's at work with spare ford/mercury remotes, but they are all the square type....so no idea if any of those would work or not. I live in Edmonton, ALTA

All2kool
05-09-2010, 07:03 PM
Actually, I work at a wholesale car lot, and we have had a few 95-97 fords/Mercury's, and if we luck out and they have a remote on the key ring, it's been the square type.....We have a couple of can's at work with spare ford/mercury remotes, but they are all the square type....so no idea if any of those would work or not.

Regardless of shape, or whether it came from a Ford/Lincoln/Mercury, it is FCC ID LHJ001/2 you seek grasshopper. I'll stake money on it.

Bapster
05-09-2010, 07:06 PM
Regardless of shape, or whether it came from a Ford/Lincoln/Mercury, it is FCC ID LHJ001/2 you seek grasshopper. I'll stake money on it.
haha ok...I'll check all the spare remotes I have at work tomorrow as soon as I get to the shop to see if I can find one with that fcc id # on it.

All2kool
05-09-2010, 07:08 PM
haha ok...I'll check all the spare remotes I have at work tomorrow as soon as I get to the shop to see if I can find one with that fcc id # on it.

I anxiously await the results. I do hope the first LHJ001/2 FOB you come across has a good battery...

Bapster
05-09-2010, 07:11 PM
I anxiously await the results. I do hope the first LHJ001/2 FOB you come across has a good battery...
me too lol....I'll be online about this time tomorrow so I will let you know if I luck out and find one at work.....I'll still be online for a while yet tonight and will keep searching around to see what I can find, maybe compare with....even the square remotes I've seen online don't have that fcc id #, I do a search online for that fcc id, and they all come out as the peanut style.

All2kool
05-09-2010, 07:15 PM
me too lol....I'll be online about this time tomorrow so I will let you know if I luck out and find one at work.....I'll still be online for a while yet tonight and will keep searching around to see what I can find, maybe compare with....even the square remotes I've seen online don't have that fcc id #, I do a search online for that fcc id, and they all come out as the peanut style.

Exactly! Yet we know that 4 peanut FOB's with that FCC ID do work for a '96 and '97.

Bapster
05-09-2010, 07:21 PM
Exactly! Yet we know that 4 peanut FOB's with that FCC ID do work for a '96 and '97.
True...would like to know what the proper upgrade is tho, as it's obviously not the correct remote they gave/sold me. But maybe it is, as a guy on the other forum told me he has the identical remote, all numbers same as the one I have and he got it programmed to his 96 town car...he also mentioned his door locks cycle when entering program mode...mine don't...maybe that is the problem??

All2kool
05-09-2010, 08:23 PM

I think this vendor, like many others, can confuse Continental and Town Car. How many times have you seen our cars referred to as a 'Lincoln Continental Town Car'? Example: There is a difference between a 1998 Lincoln Continental 4D Sedan and a 1998 Lincoln Town Car 4D Sedan.

Bapster
05-09-2010, 08:24 PM
I think this vendor, like many others, can confuse Continental and Town Car. How many times have you seen our cars referred to as a 'Lincoln Continental Town Car'? Example: There is a difference between a 1998 Lincoln Continental 4D Sedan and a 1998 Lincoln Town Car 4D Sedan.
Yes, I have seen that a few times that i've noticed.

Bapster
05-10-2010, 08:45 PM
I checked all the remotes we have, even the ones for the vehicles we have on the lot, but no peanut shaped, they were all the square black type, including the ones that have the wording on the buttons instead of the pics like they have now....thinking of trying to buy a peanut style from the net somewheres just to try....would be the first time I've bought a part for a vehicle that didn't need replacing/fixing haha...

Bapster
05-11-2010, 08:02 PM
Update!
2 Lincoln dealerships now have told me that the locks are supposed to cycle to confirm entering program mode...mine don't, only cycle after programming guest code etc....question, attempt to replace module??? And if I replace module, where would be a good place? as junkyard won't take electronics back if they don't work, any ideas??

Onblsht
06-03-2010, 01:18 AM
Make sure you are not pressing the brake pedal during the programming procedure.

Have you tested your remotes with an RF tester to ensure each button is working? We have seen a lot of the peanut shaped remotes that even with new batteries - they do not send a signal.

Bapster
06-03-2010, 07:49 AM
Make sure you are not pressing the brake pedal during the programming procedure.

Have you tested your remotes with an RF tester to ensure each button is working? We have seen a lot of the peanut shaped remotes that even with new batteries - they do not send a signal.

It's all fixed now...found out the module was replaced before, and came out of a 99 grand marquise, so I followed the instructions for a 99 grand marquise and bingo, it worked....thanks for all the help =)

Add your comment to this topic!