Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Wife=van won't drive forward

500hpgtx
05-06-2010, 08:28 AM
No engagement in OD or 3rd . Must manually shift easy 1-3 clunking sound
when engaging. Reverse Great! ....broken forward band ? Trans fluid not burnt. ....pontiac mechanic friend will upgrade parts as done in 1998. Known problem that forward band breaks as well as a few others of 1995.(3.8)..at least leaky front seal should be resolved, as well as loss of gear shift detent in trans giving SES codes ;-)
P.S.--could frustrated wife cause premature failure? KEV

LMP
05-06-2010, 01:20 PM
...P.S.--could frustrated wife cause premature failure?
Typo error maybe....SHouldn't that read:
...... PMS.--could frustrated wife cause premature failure? :evillol:

...mmm..according to this: http://www.avigex.ca/xport/transmissionranges.jpg
..forward band would indeed be the culprit...
Once upon a time, I broke the rear band attach point to the case witn a Ford C4...I ran the last 2 years of ots life without reverse....just required some strategy....however, I can hardly figure out doing the same without forward band instead....

Jrs3800
05-06-2010, 02:34 PM
No engagement in OD or 3rd . Must manually shift easy 1-3 clunking sound
when engaging. Reverse Great! ....broken forward band ? Trans fluid not burnt. ....pontiac mechanic friend will upgrade parts as done in 1998. Known problem that forward band breaks as well as a few others of 1995.(3.8)..at least leaky front seal should be resolved, as well as loss of gear shift detent in trans giving SES codes ;-)
P.S.--could frustrated wife cause premature failure? KEV

Nice correction LMP...LOL

seems like a different mode of failure than my trans.... Mine popped a lip seal and did not have enough pressure to apply the clutch packs... so the pump actually got cooked and scarred, fried all of the clutches, hot spotted the steels and burned the forward band.... I was able to do a good rebuild on that trans... But parts alone ran me about $650... Been 2 years and the trans still functions and I have been really abusive to it... Everything short of neutral drops....

Best wishes for you...

500hpgtx
05-06-2010, 04:19 PM
Thanks LMP and Jrs 3800 You guys know how to cheer me up!
And yes LMP I stand corrected. P.M.S.

The good news with this aggravation will be upgraded parts, front leaking trans seal replaced, and gear selector switch? replaced. SES light code for gear selector not matching trans gear...I was told...KEV

grandprixgtx00
05-06-2010, 06:18 PM
sorry, this is off topic. just had to let you know i like your ride 500hpgtx. i miss mine dearly :banghead:

500hpgtx
05-07-2010, 08:54 PM
Thanks for the compliment on my Grand Prix. Best compliment I received was a guy asked me on the road if i ordered my car from the factory. I really wanted it to look custopm, but factory ordered. (with nitrous ;-) KEV

grandprixgtx00
05-09-2010, 10:36 PM
I used to get compliments all the time. Those things are real head turners thats for sure.

so yours is a real GTX, right?

500hpgtx
05-10-2010, 07:13 AM
I bought my GTX new from the dealership in late 1999. Definitely more expensive than the GTP, but the ram air hood reminded me of my ram air hood on my 68 Firebird. Iwas probably one of the first with headers and nitrous at 150hp. shot .......KEV

grandprixgtx00
05-10-2010, 10:36 AM
So yours would be a 2000 as well, correct? I bought mine in late 2003 with 8000 miles on the clock from a dealership in Ohio. Had every GTX option except the 17" GTX rims.

500hpgtx
05-11-2010, 07:01 AM
Yes 2000 GTX. The rims look great, but are notorious for corrosion and peeling. I have this problem, and am torn on replacing with aftermarket or getting replacement GTX 17 inch rims. I don't knwo how rechroming these would come out. I have had this car in a floor radiant heated garage since new, and winter salt is obviously a killer here. The pewter silver stripes are from SLP. They were definintelly a challenge to put on...a long time ago.:tongue:

grandprixgtx00
05-11-2010, 10:47 AM
I've seen a bunch of posts online about those rims peeling. very unfortunate. For the 6 years i owned my GTX, it never seen snow...and very rarely saw any rain. it was stored in a heated garage most of its life.

i do like those stripes on your car though, from what i can see.

Add your comment to this topic!