Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Electircal Problem?

2KJimmySLS
05-05-2010, 09:17 PM
I have a 2000 GMC Jimmy, 2 dr, 4wd, SLS. All of the standard items for said car.

Ok, so I drove home from work this evening, without issue. Stuck around the house for a bit before getting ready to leave.

As soon as my wife and I hop in the car I turn the key only to have everything flash, and then nothing happened. I thought I had a dead or drained battery, until I realized that nothing worked. Lights, flashers, door locks, nothing. All I could hear was what I can only describe as some sort of relay clicking behind the driver's side dash.

I thought it might have been related to a remote starter that had been installed prior to my acquisition of the car, and I unplugged that and reconnected the battery and the noise was gone, but when I plugged it all back in the noise never came back. Perhaps I need to completely uninstall the remote starter??

Any idea what direction I should head in here? I'm absolutely stumped...

viggy58
05-06-2010, 12:30 AM
check all fuses and relays.
check for voltage at alt and starter
check battery and fuse block grounds

2KJimmySLS
05-10-2010, 10:39 AM
Just wanted to follow up here. Feeling like an idiot for not heading to this right away, perhaps a problem of always assuming the worst with this vehicle, but the solution was relatively simple.

After checking grounds, and fuses I was a little stumped. Then I checked for continuity at the fuse that sits below the battery, found it was fine, then checked for continuity from the battery cable to that fuse and found there was only continuity when touching certain areas on the end that connects to the battery.

Long story short, make sure you clean that cable end of corrosion on a consistent basis.

viggy58
05-10-2010, 11:35 PM
glad ya found it! thanks for posting the solution.

Add your comment to this topic!