Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2002 SL1 error codes P0128 and P0341

becknrobc12
05-05-2010, 12:20 PM
I have a SL1 that has "intermittent" SES light come on over the last two weeks. I ran a diagnostic and P0128 and P0341 came up. Additionally, now my engine sounds like a wrench is in there whenever I am in Park, Reverse or Drive constant rattling....but can go away for a day and then back again.
I feel like the ghetto kids.

Any advice?

Rob

Cat Fuzz
05-05-2010, 12:51 PM
P0128 is indicating that the engine is not running hot enough. This could either be a defective ECTS (Electronic Coolant Temperature Sensor), defective sensor wiring or a stuck open thermostat.

The p0341 is one that tricks a lot of people. It has to do with the cam position sensor circuit but Saturns do not have a cam position sensor. Saturns use a method for detecting cam position that is somewhat complicated to explain. Basically, you need to check you spark plugs and wires paying particular attention to the connections at the coil packs, especially number four cylinder. If that's all ok, then remove the coil packs and clean under them where they contact the module and also clean the pad on the transaxle where they bolt down to.

As far as the rattling goes, that could be a lot of things. Piston slap, bad wrist pin, loose timing chain, bad belt tensioner, transmission bearing, etc. I would start by removing the serp belt and seeing if the sound goes away. Don't run the engine for very long as you will be disabling the water pump. You may want to invest in a mechanics stethoscope. They usually run about 15 bucks and they are great for pinpointing noises.

becknrobc12
05-25-2010, 11:49 AM
Cat Fuzz,

Thanks for the input.
1. P0128 was a simple replacement of the thermometer. Cost a simple $12 bucks and 20 minutes and that was good to go.

2. p)341 Replaced plugs and wires and that seemed to do the trick. Pretty simple and easy replacement for that.

My codes are now gone and all checks go wel.

The Rattling continues! I've checked the heat shield and see no banging on the bottom when I am in drive/reverse. The rattling is definitely coming from the engine block. I will have to check the tensioner. My problem with this daggum rattle is that it can be intermittent. Then it is constant the next time I go out to work where every time I moved to reverse or drive and am in idle it rattles like a wrench is in there.

This sucks!

Thanks for your advice so far.
:confused:
Rob
becknrobc12@yahoo.com

Cat Fuzz
05-25-2010, 12:16 PM
Sounds like a loose timing chain to me. One or more of the guides has fallen apart or a chain tensioner has gone bad. Don't let it go, if the chain breaks, your engine is toasted.

Add your comment to this topic!