Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Dirty Bird strikes again!

MrPbody
05-03-2010, 01:18 PM
Friday night, April 30, Dirty Bird improved on his old "record" for a Pontiac V8 by .03. It now "stands" at 6.49. "Bagged" another elephant in the process! Beat a ProMod "Hemi" car for the win. The hole shot was too much for the driver of the ProMod and he shook and bounced the tires, eliminating any chance of catching Dave in DB. 1/8 mile was 4.16 @ 171!

So far, we've matched up against four Hemi cars. We're 3 & 1! And the one loss was a 1/4 mile pass. Two 1/4 mile "wins" and one 1/8 mile "win"...

The Hemis certainly have us "covered", at least "on paper", but that's why we "race the race". First guy to the end WINS! And they DON'T have a "Dave Wilcox"... (:-

Next is Little Guy Nats at Elizabeth City, NC. Lots of elephants to hunt there!

Jim

wrightz28
05-04-2010, 11:40 AM
Nice Jim :thumbsup:

Did you ever put any pictures up of 'ol DB?

MrPbody
05-05-2010, 08:19 AM
I resist breaking the "rule" of posting links to websites here... BUT... Perhaps the moderators will let it "slide" this time so everyone can look at the car and read the history of it.

There are several "youtube" videos out there as well, including last week's pass. The "funniest" (it IS, afterall, a "funny" car...) is the one titled "George cleans Dirty Bird". It's at Norwalk, where there was no other Pontiac within 2 seconds of DB. Rather than just make "show off" passes, the drivers agreed to a bracket race "of sorts". The announcer made a big deal out of "David vs. Goliath" and such. A TA/FC in a BRACKET race? Now, THAT'S funny... Of course, the "other" Pontiac "camp" is making as much out of it as possible. That they're only 500-600 HP "down" is okay... Not to take anything away from GTOGeorge, he's a good racer and a real "sport". Nice, guy, too! And that 8 second Ventura is nothing to "sneeze" at!

Jim

www.centralvirginiamachine.com (click on Dirty Bird)

wrightz28
05-05-2010, 12:12 PM
I resist breaking the "rule" of posting links to websites here... BUT... Perhaps the moderators will let it "slide"

Sliding as much as a case of White Castles as far I'm concerned. :grinyes:

wrightz28
05-05-2010, 12:52 PM
I'll admit, I read through the entire "story" behind the engine/car (mostly all engine) and enjoyed, learned quite a few things.

Props Jim

MrPbody
05-05-2010, 01:10 PM
There's more to it, but since my responsibility is the engine, and I wrote it, I suppose I could see how it "leans" towards the engine. But really, the engine is what makes DB "different". We honestly get "standing Os" when we beat a Hemi car. It's like Chevys in the brackets. When a non-Chevy wins, people cheer. When a non-Hemi wins at this level, people look like "deer in the headlights"... Then they CHEER!! At Waynesboro, they were stomping their feet "in time" while chanting "Dirty Bird! Dirty Bird!" The promoter said he'd never seen "the like". I think it's more because the car has a name, rather than a sponsor's name. People can relate to "olden times" (F/Cs always had "names", The Hawiian, Mr. Unswitchable, The Warbird, Color-Me-Gone, etc.) and they don't have to remember anything but the name! I'm sure most have no clue the difference between a "Pontiac" and a "Hemi" (spectators, I mean). But now and then, we DO hear "PONTIAC!!"...

And one "myth" we've completely "destroyed" is the idea "you can't rev a Pontiac". This one "goes" 9,200 every pass, and has "seen" 10K in the bleach box.

Glad you enjoyed it!

Jim

MrPbody
06-07-2010, 01:38 PM
Saturday night, VMP, we did it again!! 6.51 @ 208 in 94 degrees, 80% humidity, track temp over 110... Bagged another elephant in the process... They had us covered with a blanket, posting a best ever under 5.60... The little Pontiac put such a hole-shot on him, he over-ran the clutch in 2nd, blowing the tires... First guy to the end WINS! This was in front of a crowd over 40K, and being filmed for "Pinks All-Out". Don't know when the show "airs" but I hope they leave us in the final cut!

Jim

Add your comment to this topic!