Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Signalltone air horns

OGthevan
05-02-2010, 02:33 PM
I have a Signaltone twin tone horn 15/17" length, and its been bolted onto my '84 van for a long time from the past owner on the underbody I cut the old black wire off because I found it to be crummy and old so I'm going to put new wire in that leaded to this horn, up to the factory horn connection. I currently have my own horns that I got from autozone with compressor and relay (i run 30amp fuse for horn so I can use it by pressing the steering wheel) as a temp untill I can get the twin horns wired right.

my question is, is there a way I can test if this horn still works, off my battery?, and there are no compressor hose inputs on this horn so I am assuming its an electrical horn. they have silver doubled wire on them like speaker wire on each horn, but most of the length was spliced with single 12gauge with a ground.

I have a feeling these are ment for boats judging from my search results but I gotta have em. im still learning car wiring but if I can get a complete detail of installation then that will help.

RidingOnRailz
05-29-2010, 02:16 PM
I have a Signaltone twin tone horn 15/17" length, and its been bolted onto my '84 van for a long time from the past owner on the underbody I cut the old black wire off because I found it to be crummy and old so I'm going to put new wire in that leaded to this horn, up to the factory horn connection. I currently have my own horns that I got from autozone with compressor and relay (i run 30amp fuse for horn so I can use it by pressing the steering wheel) as a temp untill I can get the twin horns wired right.

my question is, is there a way I can test if this horn still works, off my battery?, and there are no compressor hose inputs on this horn so I am assuming its an electrical horn. they have silver doubled wire on them like speaker wire on each horn, but most of the length was spliced with single 12gauge with a ground.

I have a feeling these are ment for boats judging from my search results but I gotta have em. im still learning car wiring but if I can get a complete detail of installation then that will help.

Haven't gotten an answer yet, heh? Probably won't as most people on here probably wouldn't encourage you to install/revive on your vehicle a non-stock horn or whistle that could probably wake the dead or be heard half-way across town.

If the wrong person is around - I.E. one with loud sirens of their own(!) - and hears your non-stock warning device, you may hear his siren and be handed a noise citation for noncompliance.

I'm not saying "don't put a Federal 1003 Thunderbolt air-raid siren on your vehicle" - that's on you. I'm just saying you will receive little encouragement from a pro-auto enthusiast group in this venture, or might even send someone to the cardiac unit of the local hospital with just a short tap of the steering wheel hub(!)

MagicRat
05-29-2010, 10:03 PM
Lots of car enthusiasts use non-stock (aka. LOUDER) horns.

A quick way to test these horns is to simply hook them up to a battery charger (such as a 6 or 10 amp model). It may not have the power to produce a full blast of noise, but will definitly tell you if the still work.

You could use a set of jumper cables and the van's battery. However, this is not safe, even if you use an in-line fuse. A battery produces enough power to produce serious sparks/burns if the hons are defective and have an internal short.

Add your comment to this topic!