Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

windstar 1999 hood release

wbp
05-02-2010, 10:56 AM
unable to release hood, is their a way to unlatch from front
of van or under. I looked under and it seems covered in plastic.

mark_gober
05-05-2010, 05:27 PM
Why can't you release it? Did the handle break from the cable? If so, you might try using some pliers to grab the cable and pull. If the cable works, you might have some wiggle the hood while you pull the cable.

I've never tried it, but you can probably pop the hood from outside. The cable just goes to a release mechanism at the latch. If can access it from through the grill, you should be able to manually retract.

Good luck. Let me know if you need it and I can take a picture of my 2000's hood latch with the hood up so you can see what you need to look for.

Mark

old89lsc
05-23-2010, 10:47 AM
My hood release is hard to pull. I am wondering where to lubricate the mechanism. I have to pull real hard to get the release handle to come back, but it hasn't broken, yet.

12Ounce
05-23-2010, 04:53 PM
Do you have access to another '99 Windstar for study? ... perhaps at a junkyard?

BTW, the latch assembly is welded in place. I changed mine to "bolt-in" ... it took a bit of work, but now the latch is removable for some maintenance procedures (such as engine removal, which is my reason for the change.)

Add your comment to this topic!