Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

air conditioning

roter
04-27-2010, 12:18 PM
air conditioning runs normal till we come to hill then it changes to defroster & floor vent. Top of hill it is back to normal again. Is this right or can this be corrected. Thanks for input. Roter

MikeS144
04-27-2010, 04:37 PM
Sounds like you have a vacuum leak. I had the same problem with mine when I bought it. Found the leak under the engine cover.

old_master
04-27-2010, 06:47 PM
Check the black plastic vacuum line that runs from the driver side rocker arm cover across the top of the engine to a vacuum tee near the AC accumulator. Heat from the engnie dries out the plastic line and it breaks. Take a small section of the plastic line to your local auto parts store and find rubber line that fits snugly over the plastic line. Splice it on and you're good to go. Best to replace the entire line. If the black plastic line is ok, check the vacuum reservoir located below the accumulator and the tee/check valve.

roter
04-28-2010, 06:34 PM
going to replace line will keep you posted. thank you roter

roter
05-07-2010, 01:17 PM
Hi the line across the engine wasOK but replaced it any way. The line going to the accumulator was rotten and detached replaced that. The accumulator had water in it is that normal, does the connection go to the bottom or the top? Right now have the line connection at the top it is working fine. Thank You once again.

old_master
05-07-2010, 01:36 PM
The accumulator is part of the HVAC refrigeration system. It is aluminum, about 3" in diameter and 10" tall, with two hoses connected to it. The HVAC vacuum reservoir is under the accumulator with one vacuum line connected to it. The connection should be on the bottom. It should not have water in it.

Add your comment to this topic!