Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1997 Amp Light???

onerchprk
04-20-2010, 09:26 PM
I got a 1997 Aerostar 4.0 i have a question about??I just replaced the Alternator and now my amp light is on.The battery guage shows normal and seems to be charging.What would cause this light to stay on?Another thing is when the last alternator went bad the light didnt light up but i did drive it about two miles on the jumped battery.Please let me know if you have any answers.Thanks

serge_saati
04-20-2010, 10:19 PM
Maybe when you installed the new alternator, you forget to plug the "regulator test" wire. It's a green wire with red marks on it in my car. This wire is in the alternator connector.

onerchprk
04-20-2010, 10:22 PM
Tere was a single grey connector,the three pin connector and the red wire.I thought that was all i pulled off.I checked them all and even changed the alternator twice as i thought it was bad.

serge_saati
04-20-2010, 10:39 PM
Maybe there's a problem in the voltage regulator's testing circuit. It can happen even with a new alternator (manufacture problem). But the long as you have at least 14.4V on B+ output (big red wire) you are ok. If you want to get rid of the lamp, just disconnect the test wire. Put ignition on run (not start) and find out which wire glows the light and remove it.

onerchprk
04-21-2010, 06:43 AM
I will take a look.I just found out that a fuse possibly blew out.I will check it later and ket you know

onerchprk
04-22-2010, 08:21 AM
I put my tester on the batter but had the red wire in the wrong connector it made a small spark and now the light is off.I dont know what happened but its off,the battery is charging had it tested at autozone and all is good.Also the amp light still works with key on engine off.

serge_saati
04-22-2010, 11:07 AM
This is weird. If you connect the battery tester at wrong wires, it should not spark. Maybe it was a bad contact that you accidentally repaired, not sure. Anyway...it works

onerchprk
04-22-2010, 11:43 AM
It was a setting on my volt meter.My meter is a gb instruments gdt-11 it has 3 connections for the test wires.one is for common ground and two red connectors one red is to test ohms/500v ac and 600v dc and the other red is for 10a dc.i had the red one plugged in the 10a dc plug on accident when it sparked.

serge_saati
04-22-2010, 12:53 PM
Oh ok, I understand. The 10A ampere-meter wire is a 0.1ohm resistor. It's why it sparks. So I assume you blew the 5 amps charging test fuse. It should be why your lamps is off.

I don't know why it's lighted when key is at on, engine off. Maybe a different circuit when engine is off.

onerchprk
04-22-2010, 01:14 PM
Yea you got me...As long as it works im happy...

Add your comment to this topic!