Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Electrical Issue for 1997 Saturn SW2

jdfleury6
04-20-2010, 08:34 AM
Hi there. So I bought this 1997 Saturn SW2 that had its engine replaced. I think they wired it wrong when they did it. They only way to start it is to disconnect the battery then reconnect it. If you don't and just shut it off with the key and wait a minute, when you turn the key to the on position, the instrument panel will not come back on without disconnecting the battery. However, if you start the car and then shut it off, then turn the key right back on (less than a minute) you can start the car without disconnecting the battery. It’s like something needs to be reset once you shut the car off and leave it off for a while. Any ideas?

dcc81187
04-20-2010, 01:20 PM
try cleaning the battery connections and the ground

Cat Fuzz
04-20-2010, 02:16 PM
try cleaning the battery connections and the ground

+1. The side post batteries can be deceiving. You sometimes can be fooled into thinking you have a good connection when you don't. Double check that the battery connections are making good contact. Just because the bolt is tight doesn't mean it's getting good connection.

pfuzy
03-03-2011, 04:48 PM
I have one of these cars and it has a situation with the anti-theft system. If I lock the car with remote key fob and then unlock the car with a key, it won't start. Key turns in ignition, but no juice, like battery is dead. Battery tests good. Jump start works right away. However, I finally discovered that using remote to lock and unlock the doors fixes the problem! Seems that anti-theft is triggered.

Try that if you have remote. If not, try jumping with good battery. I'll bet it works.

Add your comment to this topic!