Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Cylinder head question

m.glisson003
04-17-2010, 05:42 PM
Hey everyone,

I just removed the cylinder head from my pontiac sunfire. I recently had issues with overheating and then powerloss. So I was told I need to replace the head gasket. I was wondering.....is there ANYTHING else I need to do to ensure that this works properly before I put everything back together?

My cylinder head is pretty greasy too. I was going to apply some degreaser and then power wash it to make it look like new. Is that alright?

Also, here is a list of things I am replacing. Anyhting you think I should add to the list?

-Tranny filter and gasket
-head gasket
-valve cover gasket
-spark plugs
-spark plug wires
-exhaust manifold gasket
-serpentine belt
-air filter

So basically I guess Im trying to include everything in a tune up into my work while im fixing it.

shorod
04-17-2010, 07:03 PM
I'm not sure which engine your Sunfire has and if it has a timing belt or not. If it does, you should consider replacing the timing belt, the belt tensioner, water pump, and have the head planed while it's off the car. Rather than power wash the head you could ask the machine shop to run it through the parts washer while they are planing it. When you took the head off were you able to see evidence that the head gasket was the culprit of the overheating and power loss?

-Rod

m.glisson003
04-17-2010, 07:36 PM
I'm not sure which engine your Sunfire has and if it has a timing belt or not. If it does, you should consider replacing the timing belt, the belt tensioner, water pump, and have the head planed while it's off the car. Rather than power wash the head you could ask the machine shop to run it through the parts washer while they are planing it. When you took the head off were you able to see evidence that the head gasket was the culprit of the overheating and power loss?

-Rod

Hmmm, not sure about the timing belt. Have to check on that. But what exactly does planing the head do for it? And yes the head gasket was messed up pretty bad. There was "V" shaped holes in the gasket in between the cylinders.

m.glisson003
04-17-2010, 07:48 PM
This is the old head gasket. Is that pretty bad or what?
http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q258/patch66969/Headgasket.jpg

RahX
04-17-2010, 08:12 PM
Looks like 2 and 3 were blowing into eachother. Couple of those water jackets are eaten out on there too. I would definitely have the head milled flat. Find out how much they had to take off, usually .020" is max before you start seeing vavletrain problems like valves being held open. Not sure if the 2.2 has adjustable rockers or not. It is a pushrod engine so you might not have too much of a problem. Just make absolutely sure the headgasket doesn't go on one way. Usually you can tell by looking at the cooling system holes. The end of the gasket with the biggest holes usually is opposite the thermostat.

m.glisson003
04-17-2010, 08:21 PM
Looks like 2 and 3 were blowing into eachother. Couple of those water jackets are eaten out on there too. I would definitely have the head milled flat. Find out how much they had to take off, usually .020" is max before you start seeing vavletrain problems like valves being held open. Not sure if the 2.2 has adjustable rockers or not. It is a pushrod engine so you might not have too much of a problem. Just make absolutely sure the headgasket doesn't go on one way. Usually you can tell by looking at the cooling system holes. The end of the gasket with the biggest holes usually is opposite the thermostat.

Where are the water jackets in the picture? And when you said have the head milled flat were you talking about the bottom of the cylinder head that sits above the head gasket, or were you talking about the part that sits below the head gasket with the cylinders and pistons? Ummm I know it has the rocker arms and pushrods becuase I had to remove those. How do I tell if they are adjustable or not?

MagicRat
04-17-2010, 09:14 PM
Good machine shop have existing procedures for checking out a head where the gasket has blown. Typically they clean the head, pressure-test it for leaks, magnaflux or dye (aluminum) to help locate any cracks. They check out the valves and guides for wear, and check all machined surfaces (deck surface, intake manifold surface and exhaust manifold surface) for straightness.

m.glisson003
04-17-2010, 09:41 PM
Good machine shop have existing procedures for checking out a head where the gasket has blown. Typically they clean the head, pressure-test it for leaks, magnaflux or dye (aluminum) to help locate any cracks. They check out the valves and guides for wear, and check all machined surfaces (deck surface, intake manifold surface and exhaust manifold surface) for straightness.

Any idea how much this will cost?

shorod
04-18-2010, 09:14 AM
Planing the head, milling the head, and decking the head are all the same thing. Since you mention overheating and your engine most likely has an aluminum head, it may have warped. Performing the actions mentioned above will ensure a flat surface against the head gasket and minimize the chances that the new gasket will not have a properly seal between the head and the block.

-Rod

RahX
04-18-2010, 02:29 PM
100$ or so around here. The water jackets are the V shaped spots between the cylinders top and bottom. Some headgaskets are stamped which way faces front.

Add your comment to this topic!